Back End of Blog Running Very Slowly

Hi there,

For some reason when I try to edit blog posts and pages on Cornerstone, it runs VERY slowly, to the point where sometimes I can’t even save my work because it times out (and I can see the characters appearing very slowly on the screen as I type).

Do you know what could be causing this? I’ve run a speed test and the internet is fine, I’ve also tried the suggested fixes (plugin conflicts, child theme, clearing cache etc.) that you guys kindly gave me in the last post about this (from several weeks ago - the post was unfortunately closed because I didn’t reply in time).

Although the problem did improve slightly when I deactivated all plugins, I was unable to find any one plugin causing the issue when I reactivated them all one-by-one.

Thank you!

1 Like

I am having this problem too.

IIRC*, 4.1.2 update was fine. In fact, it seemed less SLOW than previous versions had been.
By time I went to do the 4.13 update, it was already up to 4.4. So I updated to 4.1.4.
I now have 4.1.5 and it is the slowest ever.
I do not know if this SUDDEN EXTREME SLOWNESS was introduced in 4.13 or 4.14, but WOW!
It is now PAINFUL to use. Loading ANY page on front end or back end takes extremely long. Editing a Pro page takes a while.
(*(I may be 1 update off somewhere in my recollections, but I am currently on 4.1.5, the latest version.))

I have even closed almost everything on my computer. I usually have an absurd number of browser tabs (usually dozens of windows, hundreds of tabs), XYPlorer (AMAZING file browser!!!), Sublime text, MySQL Workbench, Git Bash console, various file comparison software, etc. (and WAMP) running at once.

Now I have ONLY Notepad++, and 6 TABS in a SINGLE browser window, and WAMP (else I could not work on the website al all).
I have rebooted several times.
I have disabled every plugin that I do not absolutely need to have enabled the specific task I am working on.
The difference is DRAMATIC. Click, wait. Reload, wait. etc.

Also, there has LONG been an issue with MENUS.
Editing Menus when Pro is active is even WORSE than the current SLOWNESS issue.
Literally minutes will pass after loading the page, and being able to click on anything.
Literally minute(s) between any click and responsiveness. And trying to drag a menu item to a different location: good luck, and a LOT of patience.
Even have to wait minute(s) before being able to save.

At one point, I decided it was more productive to recreate all menus, rather then edit/re-order, change pages listed. So I deleted all menus I have created for use with Pro theme. Rebuilt them, and it seemed to work ok. for a couple days/edits.
But now, it is just as painful as before. I am not sure of an earlier update fixed the Menus issue, and the Latest (1-2) update(s) broke it again. Or if Menus when Pro is active can only be edited a couple times before the whole menu system breaks again. Or maybe they are fine, until some pages get edited, then they become unresponsive again, or what.

If I switch themes AWAY from Pro, Menus are ZIPPY!
Page Loads are fast.

Literally hours of my life are spent waiting around for pages to load if Pro is active, or menus page to even respond to mouse clicks at all if Pro is active, or for Pro.
Any ideas?

Hello @vancouverwithlove,

Since you already did the basic troubleshooting, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Regards.

Secure note sent above- thanks!

Hello @vancouverwithlove,

I have logged in and I am seeing this:

Please increase your PHP time limit to at least 300, the max input time as well as the post max size and upload max file size to at least 32mb.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hi Ruenel

Thank you so much for this, I had to edit my .htacess file to get the changes to stick. I’ll let you know if it helps with the speed issues.

You are most welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.