Autoplay BG video - work arounds for android, and the "new" iOs policies

I have some questions regarding the ability to display the auto-playing videos in Xpro on mobile devices. I appreciate there is a limitation for mobile networks and the bandwidth associated with video, so mobile devices do not autoplay BG video “out of the box”.

But I have 2 questions:

Firstly, there has been a change in the iOs policies for autoplay video that allows autoplay- https://webkit.org/blog/6784/new-video-policies-for-ios/ - Is there a way to enable this for a header/page in xPro? I should emphasise I am far from a fully fledged developer, but am learning in order to publish my own business website, so whilst the examples and documentation in the article I linked to above may hold the answer, i am not confident how i would implement these!

Secondly, as you cannot autoplay on a mobile device with Android/Chrome/IE etc, is there a way to add a gesture driven play button if (and only if) the website is opened on a mobile device that doesn’t support autoplay?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Just to clarify my second question. I mean it would autoplay on desktop devices, but would add a prompt for the user to start to play the movie on mobile devices that prohibit autoplay

Hey there,

The answer to both of your questions is no, you can’t do that to the background video out of the box. Custom development is required which is outside the scope of our support.

If information in your video is important, please use a video element instead.

Thanks.