All core styling lost after updating to 6.2.9

I have a client running the Pro Theme (version 4). After purchasing a new license, I am unable to update them to version 6.2.9 as all the core styling seems to fail. The fonts don’t load, the layout breaks, etc. I was able to update from version 4 to version 5 without this problem, but updating either directly from 4 to 6, or from 5 to 6 causes the problem to occur.

The current site: https://dcpaidfamilyleave.dc.gov/
The staging site running version 6: https://pflstg.wpengine.com/

You can see the fonts are missing, there’s a notice that should be hidden but isn’t, plus various layout issues due to missing styles. What makes this more irritating is that I can’t even fix it manually, if I go into the editor and update the fonts, nothing changes, because it’s simply not loading that information anywhere.

Please advise.

Hello @mwaterous,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of plugin conflict or a cache issue. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

It’s neither plugins nor cache. I’ve disabled all plugins down to nothing but WordPress and the Theme and the issue is still present.

As mentioned in my OP, even going into the page builder and making changes, changes are not visible within the page builder. I can change the font to anything, it still remains the default browser font. The fonts are not loading, icons have gone missing, the layout is broken. The theme is no longer generating those base styles after the update.

Hi Mark,

I have made the changes in the Page Builder of your staging site, and it is reflecting the changes immediately. I would suggest you check once in the staging site, and, if everything goes fine in your staging please try by migrate from the staging server to live. Please remember to take a backup of your live site and the database before performing the migration.

Thanks

Hello @tristup, thank you for your response.

However, nothing has changed and my issue is not resolved? I cannot migrate the staging site, because that would break production the same as staging is currently broken.

Here is how it should look: (apparently your software won’t let me post links again)
Here is how staging looks after updating to version 6: (so please either remove that restriction on me, or refer to my first post for the links)

You can see it’s not the same. Styles are missing. If you look in the inspector, no font-family is set. That’s only the tip of the iceberg, but it’s also a very obvious issue.

Again, for the sake of clarity, this is after updating the theme. No other changes were made between the site looking correct and the styles suddenly disappearing.

Hello,
Is there a way to file a support ticket directly about this issue? I need to resolve the issue, or request a refund of the license as there’s no point in purchasing a license for a theme that doesn’t work.

Hello Mark,

May we have your permission to clone your live site running Pro 5.1.5 so that we can investigate your issue? Normally, we can use the All-in-One WP Migration plugin and just send us the download link of the backup.

Thank you.

Yes, go ahead. Whatever works best for you.

Hello There,

The following WP credentials do not work in your live site.

• See the secure note.

Cheers.

Those credentials are for the staging site.

I’ve copied the production environment over staging, so it’s an exact mirror. You should be able to login at the provided URL (from the original note, not from yours).

Hey Mark,

I’ve updated your staging, and indeed, there are strange changes. I’ll list them below.

1. The Header Bar 1 Element CSS is commented out.

1. Globals > Typography has been reset.

1. Text element auto Margin updated to 0.

1. Header > Bar 2 > Row > Column CSS output is different.

Live Site:

Staging Site (Pro 5.1.5 update to 6.2.9):

1. Change in Text element generated class which broke the custom CSS for the Link in the Text element in the Footer.

By the way, for this case, generated classes should not be used as the selector as they really could change. Please use the Element CSS instead.

Live Site:

Staging Site:

If you’re in a hurry, regretfully, you need to make those changes or manually fix the staging then push the staging to live.

It would be best, though, if I reported this to our development team to find the root cause of this update issue. If you choose this route, please revert the staging site back to Pro 5.1.5 so our development team could test the update.

Thanks.

The site is reverted, please advance to your development team. Manually fixing this would be quite the task given that I have to go through every page and every item on those pages one by one to compare them, as I’m unaware of the full extent of what did and what didn’t get updated.

Please keep me updated.

1 Like

Howdy,

I’m going to just work off Christian’s list, but let me know if I miss something. Appreciate the info to help us. Hope this helps.

1. this is intentional correct?

2. Font Manager was enabled when it should not have been. So I migrated from uploading, I don’t know if that has a different effect, but usually this is fine. Your theme options also exported the font manager enabled correctly. I’ll have to take another look this was strange why it kept reverting to on.

3. there is another user asking about this one. I get the gist now. On Pro5 of your site it actually was 0, however the initial behavior must be to output “auto” in prior versions as 0 is really acting as the “empty” value.

1. I don’t think this is actually an issue, I think the calculations are just different to to support mobile better. Unless I am missing something here.

2. I’m not sure where the use of autogenerated classes is, but I’m not sure how much we can do for you there. I can try to get you a filter, but the IDs are different between the preview and the frontend in the new system and rely on using style_id or mod_id or Element CSS. Let me know where that is though and we can possibly get you something to migrate with.

1. No. Again, for anyone just coming into this now, NOTHING else was modified or otherwise manually changed. These changes all happen after updating the theme. NOTHING is intentional. Nothing else is touched. I’m sorry, I’ve tried to explain this multiple times. I’m not updating then making other changes, I’m just updating the theme, reloading the home page, and this is the result.

2. I have no idea what you’re saying here. Is this fixable?

3. This change happens after updating. How do I update the theme without this breaking?

4. That’s fine, if the calculations have changed, not an issue. So long as everything looks or works the same after updating the theme.

5. I’m not sure either, I can’t even find where that CSS was added, apparently you can attach one off CSS snippets to literally any element (yikes). Is there anywhere that identifies all of these snippets so they can be organized or fixed? Either way, if the original developer used the generated class name somewhere instead of following proper procedure, then that isn’t the fault of the theme and will have to be fixed in-house.

1. Apologies I think the code comments just through us off here. I hear you nobody wants an update to cause more work. I have your staging on 6 now and for the most part it looks like it’s nearly there.

2. Yes in the Theme Options section your site in particular needed “Enable Font Manager” turned off.

1. The margin not defaulting to “auto” for global containers is something I am currently working on fixing now. I am going to try to have it wrapped up by next week.

5). If you hover over an element it will have an indicator for Element CSS. With some JSON knowledge, In Cornerstone DevTools > Tools > Document Elements , If you look for css you’ll also find instances of elements that have custom CSS.

Thanks let me know if you have additional questions. I’ll keep you updated on the margin thing.

Hello,
Thank you for all the work on this that you’ve done so far. I was out of the office at the end of last week and am catching up on all outstanding items this morning, if you have a moment an update on where this is at would be appreciated!

1 Like

Thank you. I’m hoping next week to release the margin fix for divs that are global containers. Going to do a final review later this week. Most likely in 6.3.4 or 6.3.5.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.