After WordPress update to 4.8 Floating Error

My site - www.alettesimmonsjimenez.com uses a child theme of X - Integrity Light. After a recent auto upgrade of WP 4.8 editing causes a floating error message to appear at the top of the editor. I am not great at knowing how to edit backend details in WordPress, but I have read others with the same problem. No solution yet that I could understand or that makes sense to me.

Everything seems to function well but the error does not go away it is constantly there.

Any solutions that can be explained to a novice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Alette

PS - all forums told others with the same problem to contact their Theme Developer.

Hey There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password

All the best!

Sorry for the delay -
link to site:

When trying to edit any page on the site I have a permanent floating pink error bar that says:
Failed to load content css: http://www.alettesimmonsjimenez.com/wp-content/themes/x-child-integrity-light/framework/css/admin/editor.css

Hi There,

Your child theme is out-dated. I’ve already updated it.

Everything should be fine now.

Cheers!

Thank you for that. I had 2 pink floating error bars. The most annoying that appeared prominently is gone but I do still have one partially hidden behind the top tool bar on the page edit window. I think it is a copy of the previous but it is hard to see.

I have trouble understanding how to update a child theme. It says to down load a back-up then update the theme and ftp the back-up (which I had trouble doing once when I tried) and check all customizations (of which I have quite a few) - seems like a long and involved process. A little intimidating for me I guess.

Your help is much appreciated,
Alette

This is what I got just now:

Hi Alette,

1.) Download a backup:
Using FTP like filezilla, login to your server and then go to this folder: /wp-content/themes. From there, download the entire child theme folder: x-child-integrity-light on to your computer. That will be your backup. After that, feel free to remove/delete x-child-integrity-light from here: /wp-content/themes.

2.) From the #1, we delete already current child theme. Now we have to install the latest one. See this guide: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57

3.) Doing #2 means you now have the latest child theme structure x-child folder with no customization yet. Now from the backup we did on #1, inside the x-child, there’s style.css and functions.php file in there. Copy your customization you have from the backup to the files on the new child theme. Do this on all other custom templates too. There’s some structure changes on header and footer so make sure to take that into account. To do that, just check the files location you have customized from the parent X theme.

Hope this helps.

Hi Lely,
Yes - I was afraid of that.

This is exactly what I did not want to attempt. I have made many, many custom tweaks to the theme and I can see this will take me hours of work trying to get the theme back to its normal functioning state: Searching and implementing all my custom codes.

Not looking forward to this at all!

But thanks for confirming.
Alette

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! If ever you opted to updated to the latest version, I would recommend that you create a staging site. This is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, test the customizations you’ve made and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Best Regards.

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out and the process you suggest. I did go over it and am considering setting it up. I work almost 24/7 and it has taken me over 1 year to (almost) finish all the details of my website design moving to WP. Now this adds more and more work. Makes me want to cry. All I do is think about why I didn’t use Square Space.

But I do appreciate your help.

THANK YOU!

You’re most welcome, Alette.