After update Cornerstone cannot render code

Hello,

i have update the theme and plugins accordingly and after that despite having the same code in the page as before i get no results inside cornerstone editor and no content except text in the webpage.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi @kntel,

Thank you for writing in, did you edit those pages outside of Cornerstone? I see your homepage is still fine, still, I can open that page in Cornerstone. Please remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

hello,

no i haven’t updated any page outside cornerstone.
If i open cornerstone i see no content but i can still see some text (and no formation or no cornerstone elements like galleries).
Check all the pages under ‘clubs & studios’
In addition i have both cleared all cache and disabled all addons except the theme and cornerstone in case there is an addon conflict but with no luck

Thank you for your reply.

Hello Kostas,

Thanks for updating in! Can you please update to the latest versions?
Our latest versions are:

• X theme 7.2.1
  • Cornerstone 4.2.1

This latest release contains fixes for several issues so be sure to check out the changelog (http://theme.co/changelog/).

After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hello,
i have updated to the latest version and cleared all caches. I still have the same issue.

Thank you.

Hello Kostas,

I have checked the menitioned pages and it seems that they were revised outside of Cornerstone. You can see it in the Revisions.

You may need to go back using the revisions. And if that does not work, you may need to recreate the page from scratch. Please keep in mind that page built with Cornerstone can only be edited with Cornerstone. Editing these pages outside of Cornerstone will corrupt the cornerstone data thus no longer allows you to edit the pages back in Cornerstone. Once the data is lost, you will have to recreate it from scratch.

Hope this helps.

FIrst of all thank you for your reply.

Second, can you please spend more than 2 minutes on thi as this is a live site of a business and we have an issue we the builder. As this is a support forum of one of the most well known and respected themes and builder please provide such support.

We did not edit the pages outside of cornerstone and if something like this happened (to change an image link for example) it didnt happened to all the pages at once!

We have issue to every page on the page AT THE SAME TIME! What about all the pages under ‘We offer’ or ‘Our Culture’

Looking forward to your reply.

I am seeing this exact issue so something is up with the latest updates. I’ve reinstalled the theme and cornerstone plugin and deactivated all other plugins but the issue still remains.

I posted about this last week: No Content in Cornerstone

@ruenel I have about 100 pages with the same issue and many of them have been untouched for over a year.

@kntel please let me know here if you find anything out and I will do the same.

Hello Kostas,

We did not edit the pages outside of cornerstone and if something like this happened (to change an image link for example) it didnt happened to all the pages at once!

Yes, not all pages were edited outside of Cornerstone because I can also see some pages still have the Edit in Cornerstone active.

This means that, indeed, some of your pages were changed outside of Cornerstone.

No page was edited outside of cornerstone.

Did the colleague that replied before edited 100 pages outside cornerstone ?

Something broke in the update. Can you please take a closer look on this and fix it ?

thank you in advance.

Hello Kostas,

We do not edit the pages. We can easily spot it if it was edited outside of Cornerstone when you go to Pages > Edit a page editing screen and you are not seeing the “Edit in Cornerstone” button. As you can see, not all of your 100 pages doesn’t have the “Edit in Cornerstone” button. I have checked almost 10 pages in your site and that is why I found out that “Trainers Eng” and “Etaipia” has still the “Edit in Cornerstone” button. These just means that clear some of your pages were edited outside in Cornerstone. You already have mentioned it already in your previous post:

If the update broke your site, all of those 100 pages should be displaying the same issue and all of those 100 pages will not have the “Edit in Cornerstone” button which is clearly not the case here based on our investigation of your site.

May I remind you that once the page is edited outside of Cornerstone, you cannot edit back in Cornerstone. The fastest way to resolve it is by recreating the page from scratch. And if possible, you may ask further assistance from your hosting provider. They may be able to revert back to the previous state prior to your updates. You hosting provider has a site backup that may have date back in the last two weeks.

Thank you for your understanding.

This is an insufficient reply and one experience that i will share on themeforest.
Clearly you didn’t spend the appropriate time reading this post.

The 100 pages is not my issue but another person which had the same issue with me and he did not edit any of his pages.

And no, admitting to change one image link in editor is not admitting of changing all said pages outside cornerstone. Also, the reason i had to do this was because i couldn’t update the image from within cornerstone because all data was lost.

In addition, the page that you reffered to, “Trainers ENG”, was last edited in July and it was working properly 2 weeks ago so no, this is not the case that you descibe.

If you have any constructive input to add or help me and the rest of the people with this issue, please do so, if not you can close this ticket.

Best regards.

Hey Kostas,

We’re sorry for the confusion.

I have updated many sites made with X and Cornerstone from versions many years ago up to the latest version and this is my first time seeing Cornerstone content of untouched websites getting wiped out. I couldn’t replicate this in any of my sites. But, I will not eliminate the possibility of an undiscovered bug in a recent release.

Editing a page outside Cornerstone is just one of the causes why Cornerstone data could get deleted. With regards to that, it’s not just someone edited the page but something. That something could be a 3rd party plugin, a script in your server or database operation. It is not feasible to discover what that is without monitoring website activities.

With that said, like Ruenel, I’d recommend reverting your live site to a previous working version. I’m sorry but this is the only quick fix for your live site. After reverting, copy the live site to a staging server and give us WordPress admin and cPanel credentials so we can see the WordPress, server and database activities before, during and after updating to the latest version. We might have a chance to see why or how the content will be wiped out.

Just note that I’m not promising a fix. We do not know if this issue was caused by the update yet so we need to investigate.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. This is something we can work with.

I have restored a previous backup as advised and my cornerstone issues are fixed.

Although, while i was working on the page (again without editing anything outside cornerstone) i lost the content. More precisely, the content is still there but cornerstone fails to understand it.

The issue is on some pages and not all of them. I will make a clone asap to a stage server and give you access as you asked.

The above happened after a weird issue that came up. My drop down menus in my main navigation stopped working. I tried disabling all addons and keeping cornerstone and X enabled but i had the same issue.
I tried reinstalling wordpress, the theme and addons but the menu problem wasn’t resolved and in addition i lost the content on some of pages (described above).

At the moment i am restoring the backup for the second time and i would like if possible for you to check the menu drop down issue.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your reply.

Hello Kostas,

I have just checked your site and it seems that you have updated Cornerstone to the latest version (4.2.2) but you left X in a previous version (7.2.1) which is causing an incompatibility issue.

There is an update available for X 4.2.2 so kindly make sure to update X to that version as well and clear your site and browser cache then check again.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.