After moving the site to a new server none of the pages resolve except the home page

I moved our website from the test environment to it’s permanent home, I followed the directions and used the migrate DB, unchecked the use Replace GUIDs. Now when I go to the production site I can see the home page, but any of the other pages do not resolve. Also when I go to edit any pages with cornerstone I get the same error. The error is below.

Not Found

The requested URL /departments/human-resources/ was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at ihub Port 80

I would like to mention I have opened tickets in the past but with the new support forum I don’t seem to be able to see the replies I got when someone was able top log in remotely into the actual site and was able to fix it.

Hey There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

  • Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

Credentials and site info

FTP credentials

I did just notice that when browsing to the site off of our network via the public IP it doesn’t resolve. Do you know how I might share this out so you would be able to connect to it?

Hi There,

You can try locally by flywheel or upload to a hosting service so we can take a closer look.

Thank you

Is it at all possible to do a go to my pc session or any of those type of services and we could get in from my PC?

Hi There,

Unfortunately we do not provide support using this method.

Please upload your site to a staging environment so we can take a closer look or use Locally by Flywheel so we can access your website as suggested.

Thank you

So I was able to get you access to the site from the IP and credentials above. I am just working on the FTP access now. Could you tell me the IP address you would be coming in from so I can open my firewall to that address?

Hi There,

I’m sorry but our staff is located around the globe and most of the ISPs provide dynamic IPs. Please try above suggested method.

Thanks!

All the access is set

Hello There,

Thanks for providing the information. I have logged in and I can confirmed that an error 404 is encountered when visiting any pages in your site. I already checked your permalinks settings and it is all set Day and Name. Please make sure though that your Ubuntu server allows pretty permalinks and that you have .htaccess and it has the following contents:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

To know more about Pretty Permalinks and how you can set it up right for your server, please check out this codex: https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

You might be interested in these links as well: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/wordpress-permalinks-not-working-on-ubuntu-14-04, https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/167144/wordpress-permalinks-not-working-in-apache2-ubuntu-14-04

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.

Just to confirm, are these also the reason cornerstone will not allow me to edit any pages?

The only reson I ask is I can not even use cornerstone to edit the Home page and that page does resolve

And the .htaccess file already matched the example you provided identically

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! This issues goes down to the server level settings which does not support pretty permalinks. You must see to it the your Ubuntu supports pretty permalinks to be able to use it.

You are lucky enough because in the latest release of Cornerstone, you can now edit a page even using the default permalink setting. I went ahead and changed your permalink to the default one. You can now edit the page in Cornerstone. Please check it out here: http://98.115.60.113/?cs-launch=1&cs_route=content.builder/83

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

My Linux guy tells me he has set up the server to pretty permalinks. So it’s weird some links work so don’t. Here are 2 examples. Notice how the URL’s are different but both of the links point to the legal department
Doesn’t work http://ihub//departments/legal-department/
works: http://98.115.60.113/?page_id=208
Does that mean pretty permalinks still aren’t working correct yet?

My Linux guy tells me he has set up the server to pretty permalinks. So it’s weird some links work so don’t. Here are 2 examples. Notice how the URL’s are different but both of the links point to the legal department
Doesn’t work http://ihub//departments/legal-department/
works: http://98.115.60.113/?page_id=208
Does that mean pretty permalinks still aren’t working correct yet?

Actually I noticed the .htaccess file was more or less empty. So I added the code that was provided above.
Now any of the pages that were still not resolving are defaulting to the home page.
Example is http://ihub//departments/legal-department/ resolves to the home page but http://98.115.60.113/?page_id=208 resolves to the legal-departments. Do you have any idea why?