Advice on updating from X to Pro

I have been contemplating upgrading to PRO but with my luck something will break. I see that I have a ‘staging’ area, but I am not sure how that works or how I can use it in my case. I just want to update the theme to PRO, nothing more, nothing less. I have exported a copy of my current X theme (.json file) of which I don’t know if that matters since if I go PRO I can’t go back. I just want a seamless update. I have been reading some support topics, etc, but being somewhat of a novice I want to make sure all goes well.

Hi there @JCQues,

Thanks for writing in!

If your host has a staging area, this means you could test the conversion there first before proceeding to convert the live site, this way if anything does break, your live site won’t be effected. This is usually recommended. In addition before converting/updating make sure to take a full backup of your site, this includes both files and database.

Once you have that, deactivate and delete X and Cornerstone. Then upload the zip of Pro via your wp-admin > appearance > themes > add new > upload. And everything should go smoothly. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hello There,

Your response has been withdrawn.

Please understand that Pro theme is best for intermediate and advanced users like designers and developers. In Pro theme, you will be having the ability to have custom header and footer. You will still all have the features present in X except the customizer manager and the demo contents because these two are exclusively available on in X theme.

Hope this helps.

Hi RueNel

Your response:

"Pro theme is best for intermediate and advanced users like designers and developers" and "You will still all have the features present in X except the customizer manager and the demo contents because these two are exclusively available on in X theme"

Makes a lot of sense now.

My License now shows PRO, but I am not updated to the PRO version. Is that a problem? This was due to an attempt to update my theme to the PRO version, but I had a ‘fatal’ error occur which one of your staff members help me resolve. So now I am back at the original X Theme (not PRO)

Hi there,

If you have upgraded your license from X to Pro, you should have Pro installed on your site because you won’t be able to get the theme validated if your license is Pro and the theme you have installed is X.

If you currently have X installed, please install Pro but make sure Cornerstone is deactivated because it will cause an error if Cornerstone is still active and you will activate Pro. Once Pro is activated, you can then validate it.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jade
Thank you for this. I think that’s where I went wrong previously. I did not deactivate Cornerstone prior to installing PRO. I will try to update again.

Thanx!

Feel free to let us know how it goes.