Adding Slider to Homepage + List of Tags

Hi. I am having a couple of problems at the minute.

1. I have created a slider for the homepage (one that says continue to site) and I am having trouble embedding it into my website. The demo I am using is Ethos 1 and I have tried everything but cannot make it work so that it is the first thing that shows when accessing the website.

2. I have a categories list which is great, but I would like another list called “series” where I have used tags to differentiate the posts I want within these tags. How would I go about doing this?

Help is much appreciated!

Thank you

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in!

1.) You may assign the slider above or below you masthead. You may also use the slider element if you have created your homepage in Cornerstone. To know more how you can use sliders in your slider, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/features-sliders/97/1

If you use Ethos 1 and have set the homepage just to display the latest post and did not set a static homepage, regretfully you might not be able to insert the slider without any customization.

2.) Is your category lists added in your sidebar? If you do, you can also use the Tag Cloud Widget. Or you can make use of this 3rd party plugin, https://wordpress.org/plugins/tag-list-widget/

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you very much for your reply! I have resolved issue number 2, but issue number 1 remains.

Basically, I don’t have an actual page for ‘home’ so I cannot insert a slider above the masthead in WordPress (using Ethos 1 stack). I want this slider just for the homepage and I want it to be the first thing someone sees when they open up my website. Does this mean my home page isn’t static?

Thank you again

Hi,

You need to create a New Page with your slider then set it as home under Setting > Reading.

For more information please refer to the link below

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I have done what you said and the slider works fine, but:

1. I want the front page to be the same as the posts page but it’s not allowing me to do that. Is there a way around this?

2. The Slider settings are selected to full screen in the options yet it’s not full screen, how do I fix this?

Thank you! We’re getting there :slight_smile:

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in!

1.) You cannot set the same page as your posts page because when you assign as page as post page, all contents will be ignore and will be replaced with dynamically generated post items by WordPress. To have a better understanding how the static home page and the Posts Page works, please check this codex: https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page#Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

2.) It will be fullscreen. It does not fit in your screen including the navbar because you need to add an offset container in your slider settings. Please check out the needed offset height setting:

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.