Add category and add comment to icon theme

Thought I’d get away with it, but with Icon’s sidebar not always being visible on a low res monitor, it would be good to add category to the meta data on my posts, and always good to encourage comments.

I’ve seen old posts dealing with authors suggesting that it is possible, but not categories. Could you enlighten me please?

Best regards

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Every stack has unique features, and the icon stack has minimal display for meta (the date). But please add this code to your child theme’s functions.php

This should add the category and comments

  function x_icon_entry_meta() {

   //
    // Author.
    //

    $author = sprintf( '<span><i class="x-icon-pencil" data-x-icon="&#xf040;"></i> %s</span>',
      get_the_author()
    );


    //
    // Date.
    //

    $date = sprintf( '<span><time class="entry-date" datetime="%1$s"><i class="x-icon-calendar" data-x-icon="&#xf073;"></i> %2$s</time></span>',
      esc_attr( get_the_date( 'c' ) ),
      esc_html( get_the_date() )
    );


    //
    // Categories.
    //

    if ( get_post_type() == 'x-portfolio' ) {
      if ( has_term( '', 'portfolio-category', NULL ) ) {
        $categories        = get_the_terms( get_the_ID(), 'portfolio-category' );
        $separator         = ', ';
        $categories_output = '';
        foreach ( $categories as $category ) {
          $categories_output .= '<a href="'
                              . get_term_link( $category->slug, 'portfolio-category' )
                              . '" title="'
                              . esc_attr( sprintf( __( "View all posts in: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;", '__x__' ), $category->name ) )
                              . '"><i class="x-icon-bookmark" data-x-icon="&#xf02e;"></i> '
                              . $category->name
                              . '</a>'
                              . $separator;
        }

        $categories_list = sprintf( '<span>%s</span>',
          trim( $categories_output, $separator )
        );
      } else {
        $categories_list = '';
      }
    } else {
      $categories        = get_the_category();
      $separator         = ', ';
      $categories_output = '';
      foreach ( $categories as $category ) {
        $categories_output .= '<a href="'
                            . get_category_link( $category->term_id )
                            . '" title="'
                            . esc_attr( sprintf( __( "View all posts in: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;", '__x__' ), $category->name ) )
                            . '"><i class="x-icon-bookmark" data-x-icon="&#xf02e;"></i> '
                            . $category->name
                            . '</a>'
                            . $separator;
      }

      $categories_list = sprintf( '<span>%s</span>',
        trim( $categories_output, $separator )
      );
    }


    //
    // Comments link.
    //

    if ( comments_open() ) {

      $title  = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_title', get_the_title() );
      $link   = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_link', get_comments_link() );
      $number = apply_filters( 'x_entry_meta_comments_number', get_comments_number() );

	    $text = ( 0 == $number ) ? __( 'Leave a Comment', '__x__' ) : sprintf( _n( '%s Comment', '%s Comments', $number, '__x__' ), $number );

$comments = sprintf( '<span><a href="%1$s" title="%2$s" class="meta-comments"><i class="x-icon-comments" data-x-icon="&#xf086;"></i> %3$s</a></span>',
        esc_url( $link ),
        esc_attr( sprintf( __( 'Leave a comment on: &ldquo;%s&rdquo;', '__x__' ), $title ) ),
        $text
      );

    } else {

      $comments = '';

    }


    //
    // Output.
    //

    if ( x_does_not_need_entry_meta() ) {
      return;
    } else {
      printf( '<p class="p-meta">%1$s%2$s%3$s%4$s</p>',
        $author,
        $date,
        $categories_list,
        $comments
      );
    }

  }

Thanks!

Thanks Rad, I’ll bank that.

This morning, however, I’ve abandoned trying to get icon to do what I want - it doesn’t deliver on too many platforms – so I’ve switched to Renew, and had logged in to support to cancel this request.

You never know, I might go back, but having through I’d got it nailed down and being really happy with it, I played with it on an iPad yesterday and the sidebar just didn’t work at all as I need it to, rendering the site useless to too big a potential audience.

It’s all a learning curve.

Thanks

You’re welcome and good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.