404 errors

We just launched a new site and I’m checking for any 404 and 500 errors and noticed the following string type, which the Modern Sliders use, gives us a 404 error. The links work but Website Auditor is seeing these as 404s.
“/wp-json/wp/v2/pages/”“https://www.pepsico.com/”""

I’m assuming it’s safe to ignore these? This is giving us 101 of our 137 404 status code pages.

Hello @toddbenton,

Thanks for writing to us.

I checked your site but I am not able to replicate the issue on my end. I would suggest you please provide the video and marking screenshot so that we can follow the steps and replicate it on our end and guide you properly.

Thanks

The site in this case is https://printronix.com. Here’s a link to a video that shows the issue. I am including it in a secure note since the forum content is publicly accessible and I don’t want this video to be publicly accessible.

Hey Todd,

Are you using Looper Provider JSON in your slider? We would like to check your JSON settings. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Cheers.

Hi @ruenel, I have added the credentials in the previous secure note and yes you can access and make changes. We are using the carousel slider as outlined in modern sliders. In fact, I think we used your template. However, one of my team members built it, not me so I am not 100% sure about this. This is a multisite and it’s a logo slider in the middle of the homepage on all 4 sites and 5 languages. I want to make sure you understand the content is appearing just fine on the website. I’m just curious why this content is giving 404 errors in the report and if this is an issue. Website Auditor also gives 403 errors for links to external sites because it scans them so quickly that they are flagged as a bot and reply with forbidden.

I don’t actually see /wp-json/wp/v2/pages/ links on your site. Nor in the sitemap. Is there another spot where you are using the logo slider? They can safely be ignored since I don’t think you are directly linking to those invalid pages. I’d be curious how this app you are using is scrapping links. Is that app able to tell you where it found that link?

The link in the actual slider.

Thanks for looking into this Charlie. I don’t know how this app is getting these links either. Regarding your question, it’s a multisite, so we’re using that slider on 9 homepages (Americas EN, ES and PT-BR, EMEA EN, FR, DE and IT and Asia EN and India EN). Here’s a screenshot with the full path but I don’t know how it’s finding these. There aren’t just the slider images.

1 Like

I just reran the site audit and only got eight 404 errors and they were all external sites. Let’s mark this one complete! None of those URLs appear any longer. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @toddbenton,

It’s good to know that. We really appreciate for letting us know.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.