WPML in next update?

Hi,

I’m facing several issues on about all websites that run WPML and Pro. I know I’m not alone and a lot of issues have been reported before.
According to https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/status-report-march-30-2018/28328 the April release fixes all bugs. Does this include issues regarding WPML?
Just trying to decide if I’m going to wait for that release or switch to manual translation instead.

Hi @dhunink,

Would you mind describing the issues you’re experiencing? There are a few things we’re aware of, but I want to make sure we’re fully aware of anything outstanding. Some of the reported issues are related to not having “string translation” which we wouldn’t consider a bug and isn’t going to be part of the next update. I can’t at the moment confirm what will be in Pro 2.1 in regards to WPML.

Hi Alexander!

Thanks for the swift response.
The issues I’m running to are extremely random and hard to pin point the cause, even with the help of WPML support. But the result is mostly that text of elements (everything from v1 headlines and text to v1 accordions) don’t show up in the translation editor or, which is even more frustrating, translations that showed up earlier in WPML disappear after saving a page in Pro. The translations are lost as well then.
When reading through the forum and Facebook user-group I see a lot of ‘performance’ related issues were translated text get’s lost or text doesn’t show up at all. To be honest I got too frustrated reaching out to support (WPML that is) time and time again and getting different not-helpful responses or just responses stating that Pro doesn’t work with WPML and the theme is investigating it. So I do not have a full list of examples ready here. But IF WPML is a thing targeted in the next release I’d be happy to provide a bunch of test-cases :grinning:

The thing I do think you’re definitely aware of is the lack of support for V2 elements in WPML. Personally I LOVE al the V2 Elements.
A little thought that’s running through my head is that WPML might have difficulties with using a lot of custom html and inline styling in v1 elements. For example: I used shortcodes inside shortcodes inside text-elements to achieve effects that could be achieved easily and much more consistently with V2 elements. So if the next update brings WPML to V2 elements I will beta-test them through and through!

Hi there,

Good point that I think it will help us if you are willing to have a beta tests. By checking our issue tracker I can confirm that we have a problem with the Translation Manager not detecting the V2 elements in WPML.

The reason is that V2 element content is stored in post meta and it’s not detected by the Translation Manager. The same thing happened for the Yoast plugin content analyser.

So this is something our development team work on to fix. To find a way to force the 3rd party plugins detect the content of the V2 elements.

The other thing that I can confirm is that in some cases Cornerstone Resets (WPML) Translated Pages When Base Language is Edited.

This is something that is not related to usage of V2 or classic elements. From the descriptions you gave I see similar thing that you are experiencing.

If you are experiencing a case outside of these 2 cases we will be gratefull if you can provide us a test case and give us details on how to reproduce the problem. We will follow up the case on your and ours installation to make sure if this is a code related one or the environment one.

Thank you for your willing to contribution.

Thanks for elaborating, really appreciate that!

I think the second example you gave is exactly the issue currently at hand.

Step 1.
Making an edit in Pro

Step 2.
The edited content shows up for translation. I translated it and saved it, closing the WPML editor.

Step 3.
Reloading the WPML editor: the just translated content is now totally gone. The front-end shows the original content, instead of the translated content.

This is one of the issues I’ve experienced over the past month but by far the most occurring one. Without any real logic translated content disappears and/or edited Cornerstone content does not show up for translation.

Is this in line with the already noted issues on the issue tracker?

Hey @dhunink,

I believe the issue you described was caused by the reset bug. This is in our issue tracker. If you’ve used the translation flags within Cornerstone to create the translated page, this is another possibility because currently, Cornerstone is not creating a unique title for the translated page like when you use the manual translation method. For now, I’d recommend you use the manual translation method.

Thanks.

Hi,
I had the same problems that blocks are disappearing or broken in Cornerstone after translations. I have got a workaround from WPML by Lauren. In short: start with the translation on automatic and do the translation. Set the translation on manual. Go to the original page en update it, do the same with the translationpage.
This will work, no blocks are broken in Cornerstone.

If you miss a block. Go into Cornerstone and change something in the missing translationblock, save it. The block will show again. Start with the workoround to translate.

This is not a ideal worksituation and I am sure that WPML is doing all they can do to solve this, right?

Hello @98willemmulder,

Yes, indeed. Moreover, please don’t worry as this issue has already been addressed on our issue tracker and our developers are already checking this bug. Fixes will be seen on our changelog. Please keep posted here: https://theme.co/changelog/

If you have further question, I advise you create a separate thread and then paste the details of your issue there. You can copy the whole text you have above in this matter. We will be catering your support needs from there. This is to avoid confusion between exchanging conversation.

Thank you.

Hi Christian,

thanks for the update.
Thanks but confirming it’s on the issue tracker, but is it also going to be fixed in the upcoming April release?
I’d much prefer waiting for that release instead of starting to translate manually now and loosing synchronization between the pages.

Hello @dhunink,

Thanks for updating the thread.

We are aiming to fix all the known bugs including WPML in April release. I suggest you to take a look at our development roadmap article we have published:

You can also keep a track of latest announcements on Changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, glad to hear there are several WPML issues going to be fixed in the April release. Looking forward to beta-testing!

You’re most welcome!

So glad I found this thread!! I am currently working on JCITranslation.com and I found my minor edits to the base page, were conflicting with the translated pages. I am very pleased to see Pro will be targeting these concerns. I now hold almost 10 licenses for all my clients, and it’s so reassuring to know you guys are keeping up with our fast paced world!

Hi there,

We are doing our best to address those issues. I checked our internal changelog and at the time being the problem persists.

We will inform if the fix will be for the next release of not in our Changelog when it is updated:

https://theme.co/changelog/

Thank you.

Thanks for sharing the additional information. We have two different issues at hand here:

1. Translations are getting out of sync.
  2. Inability to edit text elements in the translation editor.

For number one, this is something we will investigate before the next release. Depending on the complexity of it I can’t promise that this will in fact be fixed in time for the release.

For number two, this is a more in-depth integration that will need to be built out. Right now the only translation method is making a copy of the entire page. Our elements are not appearing in the translation editor. We’ve been in contact with the WPML team about this and have some ideas on what to implement. However, this is going to be more involved and likely isn’t going to be part of the next update.

Hi Alexander!

Thanks for jumping in and clarify things. Answers got a little mixed up in the previous responses from team members.
For 2. I think you are especially referring to V2 elements, right? Totally get the complexity of translating those, since there stored in a different way.

For 1.: that is indeed my main issue and I will be happy to do some serious beta-testing once the first beta is out!
If you need some more cases, please do let me know. Happy to help!

Hi there,

Yes, it is stored in a different way and pulled as a shortcode with an ID and only specific to the current post. Hence, if you’re going to pull it from anywhere, like translation, SEO, and such, it will not return any valid information since it can only use the shortcode from where it’s created (the current page with the Global POST). And as @alexander said, the only workaround, for now, is translating it by creating a copy of it (duplicate) like from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/5oq0a5f7s2fd852/CornerstoneTranslation.mp4?dl=0

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.