Woocommerce Shop Page - Custom Sort Categories

Hi there - I browsed the forum and see this question has been ask, but I did not find an associated solution that addresses it.

Our Shop page displays our top level categories. They are currently sorted in alphabetical order.

https://www.mitegen.com/products/

We would like to custom sort them. I thought that Woo allowed the sorting of categories through ordering of them within the category page in the admin. I have sorted them in a custom order yet they still appear in alphabetical order on the front end.

If I go to theme, select the customize for the Child theme, Within our Child theme settings, select WooCommerce and then select Product Catalog I arrive at the product catalog settings. Currently we have ours set to

Shop page display = Show Categories
Category display = Show Products
Default product shorting = Default sorting (custom ordering + name)

What do I need to do to custom sort the display of categories? Note I did look at several threads in the forum including this one. Our Shop page displays our top level categories. They are currently sorted in alphabteical order. We would like to custom sort them. I thought that Woo allowed the sorting of categories through ordering of them within the category page in the admin. I have sorted them in a custom order yet they still appear in alphrateical order on the front end.

If I go to theme, select the customize for the Child theme, Within our Child theme settings, select WooCommerce and then select Product Catalog I arrive at the product catalog settings. Currently we have ours set to

Shop page display = Show Categories
Category display = Show Products
Default product shorting = Default sorting (custom ordering + name)

What do I need to do to custom sort the display of categories?

I did look as several threads including this one, https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/change-category-order-woocommerce-shop-page/36825/2

That appears to address sorting on the front end.

We are using Theme X 6.5.5, Cornerstone 3.5.4 with a custom child theme.

Thanks
Tim

Hello Tim,

Thank you for the very detailed post information.

Actually the custom ordering is working in your site. You can check out this page:

You see, the products were displayed not in alphabetical order. I have looked at your Product shop page and it is just a normal page. You seem to used the WooCommerce shortcode to display the product categories.

Are you using the products shortcode or the product categories shortcode?
Please check out this documentation here:

Kindly let us know how it goes.

1 Like

@RueNel - We are using the category shortcodes. Specifically,

[product_categories columns=“3” order=“ASC” hide_empty=“1” number=“18” parent=“0”]

Looking through the links provided and doing some Googling I do not see the option custom sort the categories. Meaning, arranging the categories in a specific order.

Do you know if that is possible using the shortcode approach?

Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim,

It looks like it’s not possible. Based on the WooCommerce Shortcode documentation, there’s no option to orderby category.

Alternatively, you can try using one of the bundled grid plugins as they can display post types like products and they have more orderby options including categories. Please see the links below:

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi @christian_y I will read through the Grid suggestions.

Thanks!
Tim

You’re most welcome Tim!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.