Whoops - I should have used a child theme

Hi There

I have an issue in the fact that I cannot now see the content I publish with cornerstone on my site.

The solution is to upgrade the theme. I did this and my issue was solved but had to restore because my customisations were no longer effective.

I need a little guidance please on

1. Turning my existing (parent) theme into a child theme (4.6.4)
  2. Then using it after installing 6.x

Your help appreciated.

Hello @ragewebdesign,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

First I suggest you to install and activate child theme. I am sharing few resources that you can take a look to download and installing child theme.

https://theme.co/apex/child-themes

After that you need to move all the changes you have made in Parent theme to child theme. Unfortunately, you will have to do this part manually. You can take a look at following resources to get started.

Next, please take a look at our theme and plugin optimisation guide to update X Theme and Cornerstone:

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the resources - I am feeling confident.

Do you think if I copied over everything over to the child theme in /views/renew this will cover it? I believe this is all I edited at the time.

Does this sound like a typical setup to those that use the child theme?

Hello @ragewebdesign,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

Yes, coping /views/renew/ folder and related files into child theme should preserve all the changes you have made. Provided you haven’t made changes elsewhere as in that case you need to move that also.

Yes, generally that’s the setup for making changes in child theme. You copy the file in question to child theme and paste in same order by creating necessary directories.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.