Website Redesign with X with staging?

Hello everyone at theme.co :slight_smile:

After some hours of searching the knowledge-base about the topic I still have some questions…

I had a webdesigner set up my site some years ago and now I need a redesign because it only supports php 5.6 - and that is no longer available…

So I decided to do it myself this time, looked for a theme, found “X” and decided to give it a try :smile:

Problem:
The “old” Website has to stay live while developing, so I decided to do this in a subdomain and switch it later to the original domain. Does this make sense?

Just now I found out about the “staging” possibility- would that be the preferred way to do this?

I already installed x in my new subdomain - can I move it to the original-domain later, or does it have to be there from the beginning? If yes - how can I change that as it is already in the subdomain?

Would that affect the “old” Site, which should stay live as it is?

Any hint will be appreciated - I hope, my english is good enough to be understood :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for taking time to ask the question in detail.

Basically you can create a separate instance of your staging server (probably a sub-domain), continue the development process in there and then you can migrate a copy of your staging server by replacing your live site. We have a migration guide available here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-content-builder-migration/126).

Also our product validation guide is available here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-product-validation/55), so that you can validate your live site and staging site.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for your answer :slight_smile:

Regarding validation: I did that directly after installing X…,

Do I understand it correctly, that “production” means “live” - and “staging” means “construction”, or is it the other way around? (Sorry, I’m german, new in the “site-building-business” and do not yet understand every term… :wink:
Assuming that I’m right:
I validated X just for the staging site (sub-domain) without actually making it a “staging” site, so this is now validated as the production site, while I did not install X in the production domain at all…

Would it now be possible to change/correct this by just editing the “production”-site and “staging”-site entries in the Licenses - section of my account - without re-installing X in the staging-site or/and installing it in the production site, which should stay as it is?
Would this make the migration afterwards easier (from looking at your link, it seems rather complicated), or is it the same process anyway?

Thanks in advance
Ralf

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for updating in!

Yes you are correct. Staging mean that the site you are building and the production means the live site. We have this in the licenses page where in you can assign one license to production and staging site. A staging site is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site.

Yes, you can change the assignments of the license later on. You can revoke and revalidate any site that you may assign in your license page. You can even use X theme without validating it. The only drawback is that if you do not validate, you do not have have any access to the bundled plugins in X > Validation > Extensions.

To know more about migrating from staging to a production site, please check out this knowledge base article:

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.