Website Hacked Can't Activate the Theme

Hello team,

My website was recently hacked. Now it is back up, but I can’t use the theme I purchased from you on the 5th October 2017. I’m stuck, I need help that won’t cost me any more money since I’m on a tight budget.

I have tried deleting the URL against each license, but even that isn’t helping.

What do I do?

Mambuya.

Hello Mambuya,

Sorry to hear that the website was hacked but I am glad to hear that it’s backup again. :slight_smile:

I suggest you to first take a complete backup of the website. After that, if you have made changes to theme files without installing child theme then please install child theme and move all the changes into child theme.

Next, please revoke validation from Pro > Validation > Revoke Validation. After that deactivate and delete Pro from Appearance > Themes and download a fresh copy of Pro Theme. Next step would be to Install and activate Pro from Appearance > Themes > Add New > Upload Theme.

Finally, from Pro > Validation enter your purchase code to validate Pro Theme.

I am sharing few resource that can be used to download and setup child theme:

https://theme.co/apex/child-themes

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response @Prasant.

Unfortunately, the back up failed so I was going to have to redo the site from scratch. Let me read through the resources you suggested. I will be back if I hit a dead end.

Thanks once again.

Hello @mambuya,

Thanks for updating the thread.

You said the website is live. Redoing the website may take quite some time. Let me see if I can help you out.

There are couple of ways to take a backup, plugin (somewhat automatic) and manual.

Plugin method: Have you tried using plugins like UpdraftPlus to take backup of the website? I suggest you to try this out. I have personally used UpdraftPlus and it works quite well. You can also take a look at BackUpWordPress plugin.

Manually: When taking backup of website manually, you can manually download the theme files using FTP programs like Filezilla and take a backup of the database SQL file. I am sharing few tutorials that you can take a look.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

I’ll look into this @Prasant.

I have downloaded the child theme. However, when I installed it, it told me I also needed to have the parent theme installed. This is very CONFUSING to me since I’m not very tech savvy.

I had tried retrieving everything from back up, unfortunately, Dropbox tells me the last time my website was backed up with them was 7 months ago.

I’ll keep trying then get back to you.

Thanks,

Hello @mambuya,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Parent theme related error means, parent theme is not installed or is in active state which goes back to your original issue. To install a child theme Pro theme should be active state.

Let us know how it goes about reinstating the backup you have.

Thanks.

Hello @Prasant,

I know this case has already been closed, but I am stuck and I need your help. I have no means of revoking the validation as you instructed. My website is on a server that was hacked twice. Now I have to do everything from scratch. However, Pro says the purchase code is already directed to maryannembuya.com. Question: Can you help me revoke the validation manually? I am really STUCK!

I have been doing this for more than a week and I am still at where I was when I first contacted you.

Please help me revoke the validation for both licenses manually.

Thanks,

Maryanne M.

I think I got it done. Thanks.

Glad to hear that. :slight_smile:

@Prasant,

I thought I was good to go, but I keep getting errors with the theme: Http error 500, a blank website and Uh oh, we couldn’t check if this license was valid. Details.The details aren’t provided.

Do you know what could be wrong? Can you help?

I was happy because I was finally able to install the theme and thought everything was ok. Nothing is okay.

Hi There,

If you’re getting a blank web page, most probably you’re getting a PHP fatal error. Please change the following line of code in your wp-config.php file to enable WP_DEBUG mode.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

When you re-visit your website, you will see detailed error messages which will help you to identify the issue.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.