Video post behaves oddly

So far I have been adding videos to posts by simply pasting YouTube links into the body of the post. They automatically embed themselves, but not quite fully.

In my blog feed, in The Grid masonry layout with very short excerpts, YouTube videos correctly show as the image for the post and are playable inside that little container.

The videos also correctly embed and play in my category archive pages.

In the individual post page, however, it says “Video Source Missing” even though the same video worked just fine in other parts of the site.

Pasting just the YouTube link into the WP admin “Embedded Video Code” field doesn’t change anything.

If I paste YouTube’s embed code into the “Embedded Video Code” field, then the video correctly displays on the individual post page.

My question:

Because featured and playable videos are working one some pages, it seems like the additional step of pasting embed code should be unnecessary. X already knows where the video is and knows to embed it. Is there a way to avoid copy/pasting the YouTube embed code? The auto-embed is very promising, but it’s not quite working.

Perhaps: In my blog index, is it The Grid which is interpreting the post and making the videos functional, and not the X theme?

Hi There,

This sounds a bit strange, could you maybe install a browser addon screencastify and record a video to clarify the situation.

If you simply paste youtube links they would not convert automatically to embed codes.

Thanks

First I paste a YouTube link.

Within seconds, before I even save, it automatically becomes an embedded video.

The embedded video is visible on my blog index page and can be played from there without going to the post page first.

But on the post page, no video is at the top. The embedded video is below the text in the body of my post, not featured as it is on the blog index page.

Why does it work on the blog index page but not on the individual post page?

I think the answer is that I must manually paste the embed code into the admin field for the post to properly show the video on the post page.

Feature request:
This is almost fully automated, but not quite. It would be fantastic if X could handle this automatically so that we don’t have to mess with the embed code. Wordpress already knows the video is there and knows how to embed it. I’d love it if the video post type automatically featured the first video in the post if nothing is explicitly specified in the embed code field.

Hi there,

You have added it as part of the content and it will be displayed as a content. You should use video format instead, then add your video in that area.

Please check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/meta-options-posts/143 and go to Format Specific Post Meta Options section. You can choose video format and add your video to video setting section.

Then don’t forget to set a featured image, it will be displayed when the video isn’t displayable depending on stack.

The video added to the editor will automatically become an embedded video and it’s done by Wordpress and not by the theme.

It can’t be done automatically, Wordpress changes it looks but it still remains URL within the content where it’s added. Which is why post format is there, and it’s also a Wordpress’ feature, we only enhanced it as part of the theme.

Thanks!

Okay, thank you. That’s basically what I had already deduced in my original post, but I have over 300 posts that I’m rebuilding into Wordpress right now and I was hoping to avoid a big batch of additional copy/paste of embed code. I’ll just do it…

You’re welcome.

I have a follow-up question because I still can not get the behavior that I want. My blog index page is http://staging.jeremyborum.com/

X’s custom field “Video Post Settings” does not seem to inform Wordpress that there is active video content to display. I want the embed code to create a featured playable video on the index page.

My goal is a post index page which shows playable videos, and also a single post page which shows the video at the top as you have designed the custom post type. It appears that I can choose one or the other, but I can’t have both. How can we better connect the WordPress video functionality and X’s Video Post Settings custom field?

Case 1: (currently post #2 “The Invention of Morel comes to the Long Beach Opera”)

• YouTube link in post content
  • Embed code not present in X’s Video Post Settings field
    Result:
    The video is visible and playable on my index page. I like this because the videos are visible and can be watched directly from the index page without clicking through to another page. However, on the single post page the space for the embedded video at the top is empty.

Case 2: (currently post #3 “Mark Abel – Time And Distance album release”)

• YouTube link not in post content
  • Embed code in X’s Video Post Settings field
    Result:
    The video does not appear on the index page, but it appears properly at the top of the single post page. This is the solution presented by Rad above, but it is incomplete.

Case 3: (currently post #4 “Nobu Uematsu’s Libery Fatali from Final Fantasy VIII”)

• YouTube link in post content
  • Embed code in X’s Video Post Settings field
    Result:
    I get both a playable index page and video at the top of the single post page (good), but the video also appears a second time in the body of the post where I put the URL text (bad). Using both the URL and the embed code duplicates the content and doesn’t work.

Case 4:

• YouTube link in post content but hidden with
    <div style="display:none"> (link) </div>
    Result:
    Because the link is hidden, Wordpress does not treat it as active content and it does not appear on the index page as before.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey @jborum,

You’re using The Grid to display your blog posts and it isn’t connected to X’s Video Post Format display. What you can do here is follow Rad’s suggestion or Case 2 so your video displays on top in single posts and for the index, instead of adding your video in the post content, add it in The Grid’s Media Content Settings that is available for each posts. The Grid will use the video in that setting first and if no video is set there, it will get the video from the content. For complete details, please see https://theme-one.com/docs/the-grid/#media_settings

If that does not help, please give us WP admin access in a Secure Note so we could try that out. I tried to check other threads if you’ve given us credentials previously but I wasn’t able to find it.

Thanks.

Thank you. That is less automatic than I would like, but I can get it to work in the way I would like:

Putting the embed code into the X Embedded Video Code field adds the video to the individual post page.

Filling in The Grid’s YouTube video ID field ensures that the video also appears in the masonry layout.

Many thanks! Now for lots of boring copy/paste…

Glad we could help.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.