Urgent - Some pages not rendering properly

Hello,

today I noticed that some portfolio items, built with Cornerstone, are not rendering properly anymore. Two examples are:

Strangely, we have over 50 portfolio items, all made from the same template, and the other ones are fine.

When viewed in the Cornerstone editor, the page seems fine. The problem appears in the front end. The english versions are not affected.

I would rather not recreate these pages entirely, because if the other 50 pages also present problems at some point, it will be a week of wasted time.

It is rather disappointing that the theme suddenly behaves like this. Having a reliable website is crucial to our growth.

Hi Thijs,

Thank you for writing in, please do the following:

• Create a staging version of your website or create a backup so if something goes wrong you can bring back the backup. You can ask your hosting service provider to do that for you.

• Update the theme to version 7.1.2 and Cornerstone to version 4.1.2. Use the manual update method mentioned here.

Updating Your Themes and Plugins
Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

• Go to the page in question when you are using English, then create a template from the page.
  • Create a new page and use the Template to recreate the same page.
  • While you are inside the Cornerstone click the German flag at the bottom-right section of the screen.
  • Click to Copy the Existing Page option so you will have the same page for German.
  • Go over all the elements and translate the page into German.
  • Check back with the result.

Please kindly do not use the WPML String Translation tool and rely on the Cornerstone feature to translate the pages. The Flag icons of the Cornerstone will use the correct way of translation feature of the WPML plugin.

Thank you and Happy New Year,

Dear Friech,

thanks for your reply. I have tried your approach, as well as some variations, and while it fixes some of the problems, it does not solve everything.

This is the translated page:
https://dqs-cfs.com/de/portfolio_de/brc-food-safety-2/

You’ll see everything is in German, except the classic list and the classic prompt. I have translated these in Cornerstone but they continue to appear in English in the front end. I’ve cleared the server cache, the browser cache, I have tried multipe browsers, but it stays English…

In the meantime I have noticed some English pages are also affected.

This one is completely broken:

These two have some German elements on the english page:

The problem appears to be related to the classic list and/or the classic prompt.

This is a disaster. These pages were perfectly fine, and now we are wasting days of work!

Hi @dqscfs,

We are sorry you are having this issue. There’s no known bug related to those elements on our tracker. Would you mind sharing credentials inside a secure note so we can check your setup?

Thanks in advance. Secure note added.

Hey @dqscfs,

We understand that this is frustrating but WPML has changed recently. During the update, the translations must have been corrupted especially for the Classic Elements.

The conflict is most probably with the WPML Translation Management though I have the latest WPML plugins in my test site and I couldn’t replicate this issue even loading up your portfolio template. In some installs, the WPML Translation Editor translates content even if you use the Manual Translation method. Because the Classic Elements are directly accessible by the Translation Management plugin, they are connected to it that’s why you see the English version in the Spanish page because you need to translate the text within the Translation Manager.

An example of what I said above would be the text portfolio item that I created in your site (see URL in the secure note. I saved the corrupted portfolio as a template and loaded it up in the test page. The result, it is working fine so there’s no issue on our end per se. I translated the portfolio item and the German version is corrupted. This is because, the portfolio item is now connected to the Translation Manager.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best thing to do here is to revert your site to a previous working state most probably before you updated WPML. I’d like to say again that we understand your frustration. However, we don’t have a fix or a code to insert to fix the issue. If you don’t have a website backup, please try changing the Classic Elements to their V2 counterparts.

I believe this is more cumbersome but another thing you can try is save each of your portfolio item to a template then deactivate WPML Translation Management. After this, create a new portfolio item and load up a template. You can then try translating with WPML only and not with WPML Translation Manager.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian,

thank you for your support. We have decided to replace the classic list and classic prompt elements, because in the long term it might be the best solution.

This has however led to another issue: I chose the creative CTA to replace the classic prompt. You can see I have inserted in on this page: https://dqs-cfs.com/portfolio/brc-food-safety/

The problem is that I cannot modify the text and icon for the hover state - the menu to do so does not appear. I have compared the options on my screen to the options in the knowledge database:

Half of the options listed in the knowledge base are not available on my screen.

So, to be clear, I just don’t see where I can change the default text “discover now, we have answers” that appears in hover state to something else.

Screenshots of what the cornerstone editor of the Creative CTA looks like for me:

Found the solution in another topic, I had to turn on advanced controls in settings. Strange, but anyway, problem solved.

Glad you sorted things out, for other users the Advance Mode switch option is under Page Settings > Preferences

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.