Upgrading from X to Pro Guide?

Hi Xters…

I’m a competent novice using X with a child-theme on WordPress who is about to change over to Pro, but there seems to be no quick guide or general advisory regarding this. I’m eligible for the free upgrade and this is what I’ve picked up after looking through some of the posts:

1. Update X to latest version and fix errors.

2. Make a restore backup of the website.

3. Go to ‘Manage Licenses’ in my Apex account and click ‘Go Pro Free’ (will there be any steps regarding license re-assignment, or is this automatically activated?)

4. Download and install Pro and Pro-child on Wordpress.

5. Replace line Template: x with Template: pro in X-Theme child’s style.css. *This is where I get confused! Does this mean I just keep using the original X-child Theme and there’s no need to import the Pro-child Theme… or do I import all the X-child Theme css into the new Pro-child Theme… or?

6. Activate Pro and appropriate child-theme in WordPress

• Other points of confusion are… what is the proper order for doing these steps and is it okay to delete the old X-Theme (and more importantly the X-child Theme) when everything is done. Also, if just modifying the X-child Theme’s designation and keeping it is the answer are there any lost benefits from not using the Pro-child Theme?

I understand that all of this is probably already known by professionals and skilled users, but you need to remember that some of your clients are untrained individuals like me who are just building a website or two for themselves. We need an easy, step by step guide that’s readily accessible to help us confidently make the change from X to Pro as the penalties in terms of lost work for doing the change-over incorrectly could be substantial.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @ajonesx,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

In our knowledgebase we have published guide that will help you to convert from X to Pro:

However, let me try address some of your questions:

1. Child theme: You need to download Pro child theme and then move all the CSS and PHP codes from X child theme to Pro child theme. Pro child theme can be downloaded from here. https://theme.co/apex/child-themes
  2. Please note that you need to install Pro child theme. Now, there is no particular steps of doing the changes but in general you can first copy all the codes present in X child theme to a temporary file. After that you can install and activate Pro Child theme and place the codes you have just copied into temp file over here.

If you have further questions, kindly let us know.

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.