Upgrading from 5.2.5 to 6.3, 500 page errors

We didn’t see the option to upgrade within the Wordpress admin area, so we uploaded the new X theme files through FTP. After we did this, the entire site (including the admin area) is showing 500 errors.

Are we upgrading incorrectly?

What should we do next?

Thanks!

Hello @BMC,

Thanks for asking.

I suggest you to please setup a staging server and copy the website over there to update X Theme so that the problem can be looked at without affecting the live website.

Next, please take a look at the theme update guide and scroll down to the manually update section and follow the instructions that’s mentioned.

To learn more about 500 error and some possible solutions, please take a look at following article.

Thanks.

We have tried everything listed, including disabling all plugins, increasing PHP memory limit, .htaccess changes, etc, to no avail. Upgrading to 6.3 throws 500 errors even after taking all of the above steps.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi There,

Did you update the Cornerstone to the latest version as well? If not, please update it, you can do this easily after you updated the X theme to the latest version.

Navigate to Plugins panel deactivate and delete the Cornerstone, then navigate to X > Validation panel, wait for a few seconds and X will re-install a compatible version of Cornerstone.

Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Clearing Caches

If that did not work still, please provide us login credentials (wp-admin and FTP) in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Hi, that still did not work. As requested, here is the login information.

Hi @BMC,

I followed the hosts setup but I couldn’t access your site in the browser, nor connect to FTP. And when I pinged the site and it shows the same IP as you provided, so it’s correct based in your provided information. Perhaps it’s blocking access from other countries?

Thanks!

Hi @Rad, I spoke to our tech guys and we need to whitelist your IP. Can you provide it? Feel free to edit this post and add a secure note if you don’t want to post it publicly.

Also, are you using SFTP or FTP? The connection requires SFTP.

Hi There,

Sorry, but we can not provide a specific IP as we are from a different part of the World and using a dynamic IPs. Is that the site in question? (see secure note) If I don’t point your domain to the IP that you provided I get that site, which still using X 5.2.5, If I do point the domain it gives me the This site can’t be reached error.

Would you mind cloning your site to a staging environment and update your X and Cornerstone there first and see if the issue occurs, If not then you’ll know its a server-side issue. If the issue persists, please allow us access to that cloned site so we can take a closer look on the issue.

Thanks,

Please disregard the previous post we made. I deleted it. Accurate information will be attached to this one.

Hi,

When I do changes in host file I am getting this

Kindly check the ip again then please provide us your wordpress admin login in Secure Note as well.

Thanks

This is the info:

Hello @BMC,

Thanks for updating in!

The image were added in the secure note and the thread is unlisted. Only you and our staff can see it.

The issue is still the same. The url cannot be accessed.

Please double check the given details.

Please try https. The site uses SSL. You will also need to use SFTP, not FTP.

Thanks!

Hi There,

Sorry but no luck, neither works SFTP and https://webdev-www.biblica.com/ please check the URL and IP that you provided. Is the site that I screenshot above not the correct site?

Please check.

Thanks,

My apologies. I had given you the internal IP. You’ll need to put the external IP in your host file. My fault. Again, sorry for the mixup!

Hello @BMC,

We can now access your site. Please have your WP username and password updated so that we can login. I can see that you have installed 5.2.5 with Cornerstone 3.3.6. Do you have any custom code in your child theme’s functions.php or in a child theme’s template file? I have a hunch that something in your modifications is causing the error 500 when you updated to X theme 6.3. Please let us have some access to your site so that we can inspect it.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, SFTP and WP-admin logins are both attached.

Thanks.

We do have custom code in our child functions.php, but even when we removed the child theme entirely, the upgrade did not work.

Hello @BMC,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

Can you please confirm the admin login details as it’s not working and I am getting error message (see secure note)?

Thanks.

Please try now. Thanks!

Hi,

I was able to login to sftp but it seems that it doesn’t have the right access. I could not see your wordpress files, only a blank directory.

Please update your theme and cornerstone in your staging manually using our guide on the link below

If there is an error kindly leave it as is so we can check what is causing it.

Thanks