Stylesheet suddenly missing- I don't think it's a memory issue

Site URL: swassociateshickory.com

My Background: web dev: 25+ years, certified in: CSS (1,2 &3), HTML (4 &), database dev, Wordpress, server-side languages, more.

Went to site today (I haven’t been at it in months) and noticed a message about the X-theme install:

Broken Themes
The following themes are installed but incomplete.

Name Description
x Stylesheet is missing. Delete

I’m afraid to delete because anything I’m not sure what I’m deleting.

I also see that X-theme has been replaced with TwentyNineteen, I supposed defaulting to this since X-Theme is broken.

I also have a noticed that Cornerstone needs to be (re) validated. And although the license was purchased on Mar 1, 2017, it does not recognize the license.

I’ll be glad to send you login credentials privately.

Hello @ChadAustin,

Thanks for reaching out. :slight_smile:

1. Stylesheet missing:

This could be because that CSS file got deleted from the server. At the moment I see that Twenty Nineteen Theme is active. Please do following:

• From Appearance > Themes delete X Theme. Doing so, won’t delete you existing content.
  • From members area or Themeforest, download latest version of X Theme.
  • From Appearance > Themes > Add New upload and activate X Theme.

2. Cornerstone validation:

As Twenty Nineteen Theme is active, Cornerstone that ships with X Theme will ask for validation as bundled version of Cornerstone is supposed to work in conjunction with X Theme. Please install X Theme by following above mentioned steps and that should fix the error message you are getting.

You can also take a look at following resource for more information.

Thanks.

Thanks for the ultra quick response, Prasant!

The X-theme is not even listed as a theme within the Theme section of WP… just TwentyNineteen.

Now, I can always FTP in and delete it manually… but I’m more concerned about getting back my CSS. If I were to go to Archive.org and look for a ‘copy’ of the site (which I saw this morning), which CSS do I need to download?

Hi There @ChadAustin

When you install your X theme and activate it again, you will get the default style-sheet again. If you have added your custom CSS into your X theme’s style.css file, it will override when ever you’re updating your theme. To resolve this issue, we recommend to setup a child theme and add your CSS customizations into your child theme’s style.css file. Please refer to the following article on how to setup a child theme (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57).

However if you have added your CSS rules into X -> Theme Options -> CSS area, all those CSS rules will be saved in your database and it will function again when you activate your X theme again.

Also to recover your original files, I would suggest you to contact your hosting provider directly as they keep backups of your site.

Thanks!

Thanks Midarshana! I did create the CSS within X->Theme Options ->CSS! Yayyy!

I don’t mind doing child themes (it’s was my method form 2010-2017)… but then I found the miracle called “X-Theme!” hahaha :slight_smile:

Glad we could help.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.