Stylesheet suddenly missing- I don't think it's a memory issue

Site URL: swassociateshickory.com

My Background: web dev: 25+ years, certified in: CSS (1,2 &3), HTML (4 &), database dev, Wordpress, server-side languages, more.

Went to site today (I havenā€™t been at it in months) and noticed a message about the X-theme install:

Broken Themes
The following themes are installed but incomplete.

Name Description
x Stylesheet is missing. Delete

Iā€™m afraid to delete because anything Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m deleting.

I also see that X-theme has been replaced with TwentyNineteen, I supposed defaulting to this since X-Theme is broken.

I also have a noticed that Cornerstone needs to be (re) validated. And although the license was purchased on Mar 1, 2017, it does not recognize the license.

Iā€™ll be glad to send you login credentials privately.

Hello @ChadAustin,

Thanks for reaching out. :slight_smile:

1. Stylesheet missing:

This could be because that CSS file got deleted from the server. At the moment I see that Twenty Nineteen Theme is active. Please do following:

• From Appearance > Themes delete X Theme. Doing so, wonā€™t delete you existing content.
  • From members area or Themeforest, download latest version of X Theme.
  • From Appearance > Themes > Add New upload and activate X Theme.

2. Cornerstone validation:

As Twenty Nineteen Theme is active, Cornerstone that ships with X Theme will ask for validation as bundled version of Cornerstone is supposed to work in conjunction with X Theme. Please install X Theme by following above mentioned steps and that should fix the error message you are getting.

You can also take a look at following resource for more information.

Thanks.

Thanks for the ultra quick response, Prasant!

The X-theme is not even listed as a theme within the Theme section of WPā€¦ just TwentyNineteen.

Now, I can always FTP in and delete it manuallyā€¦ but Iā€™m more concerned about getting back my CSS. If I were to go to Archive.org and look for a ā€˜copyā€™ of the site (which I saw this morning), which CSS do I need to download?

Hi There @ChadAustin

When you install your X theme and activate it again, you will get the default style-sheet again. If you have added your custom CSS into your X themeā€™s style.css file, it will override when ever youā€™re updating your theme. To resolve this issue, we recommend to setup a child theme and add your CSS customizations into your child themeā€™s style.css file. Please refer to the following article on how to setup a child theme (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57).

However if you have added your CSS rules into X -> Theme Options -> CSS area, all those CSS rules will be saved in your database and it will function again when you activate your X theme again.

Also to recover your original files, I would suggest you to contact your hosting provider directly as they keep backups of your site.

Thanks!

Thanks Midarshana! I did create the CSS within X->Theme Options ->CSS! Yayyy!

I donā€™t mind doing child themes (itā€™s was my method form 2010-2017)ā€¦ but then I found the miracle called ā€œX-Theme!ā€ hahaha :slight_smile:

Glad we could help.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.