Sluggish speed

Here’s the website I’m building:

The client has complained about the loading lag time on every page. I think it’s the fact that all the images load quickly, but most of the text lags behind a few seconds.

The problem I’m facing is that it takes so long to load the pages. I’ve followed every step on https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/customizations-performance/210, except for paying for a CDN.

I even lowered the image quality drastically (way too much) to test if that was the issue, but I’ve noticed no change in load time.

My problem seems simple enough, what could I be missing that would make the loading time on all pages so sluggish? Even just making it so that all the text loads uniformly might give the appearance of a faster site.

Could it have something to do with how my CSS is loading?

Any help?

The link you provided is giving me a 500 internal server error.

Ok, I see the 500 error. Now I have to work to fix that…

Just checked it out again, still getting that same error I even cleared my cache and hard reloaded and checked multiple browsers.

Hello @romillian,

Thanks for writing in!

I tested the website load time on Pingdom and average load time is close to 1.10s. Which in my view is fine. However in the same report I see one image that is close to 685kb. Probably you can try to optimize the file size without compromising quality. My suggestion would be to analyse the Pingdom report and take necessary action as suggested in the same.

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies.

In figuring out the 500 internal error response, I found out that my caching plugin and Typekit seem to be to blame.

I noticed that I was getting the 500 error most often from my main browser when I tried the www. prefix. After I deactivated W3 Total Cache, I no longer get any 500 errors. Does this mean that it’s messing with my .htaccess file? I’ve tried to reset this, but I fear I made a mistake in not saving the working copy each time I changed it. So what I’m left with is not using caching and my site running smoothly so far.

And X Typekit was making the text loading lag a few seconds visually AFTER the 1.10s load time. Has anyone else heard of this?

I’ve deactivated both of these plugins and I’m getting perfect speeds. Is there anything I should be cautious of using this set up?

Hi there,

Hi there WWW should have no effect unless the cache is specific to that URL and it’s trying to pull the cache which doesn’t exist, and where it processes it, it caused the internal error. Or maybe your site is not configured for WWW but you’re trying to access it through WWW in which the cache got mixed up? You can still use the cache plugin but you must properly configure it, and make sure to exclude theme assets from minification.

As for the Typekit, yes, it usually happens when you activate it and didn’t add proper Typekit ID, which means it’s pulling some 404 resources from Typekit server. And you don’t need Typekit plugin, you can utilize the theme’s Typekit feature.

X/Pro > Launch > Options > Templates > Fonts And click the T icon, then go to Typekit Section and add your ID.

Thanks!