Revolution Slider Vanished

Hello, I just updated Revolution Slider to see if that would fix some other problems I’ve been experiencing since my recent updates of X and Cornerstone, and it completely vanished. It wasn’t appearing in my plugins list and, as 90% of the site was constructed in Revolution Slider, the whole site except header and footer was gone. I was forced to rollback the website to a backup but I’m sure there must be a way to update Revolution Slider without this happening?

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in! Would you mind providing us which one of your site is experiencing an issue? By the way, if you have installed a caching plugin or your hosting server has a caching feature, you must clear all your caches first right after the theme or plugin updates before you test your site again.

Hope this helps.

Hi thans @RueNel the site is fondudes.com
Yes, I made sure caching plugins were deactivated before the update, and I flushed the site’s cache.

Hi @jeremy4,

In this case, to solve this issue you needed to create a duplicate of your site in a staging or dev url. So we could check why is this happening to you. From there, we could update it freely without worrying that we could break the site.

The only problem that I could think is that when you update, the updating part is not properly executed or there is a security function that causes the update not to run well.

Once you could share us the dev site, we’ll do our best to help you.

You could check the link below on how to duplicate a site. It is similar to migrating a site.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thank you for your insight @nico! The staging site is http://rb1.56d.myftpupload.com/
Every plugin that is in use on the site is currently updated, except for Slider Revolution.

Hello @jeremy4,

Thanks for updating the thread and sharing URL. :slight_smile:

I see that you are using latest version of X and Cornerstone. Currently Revolution Slider you are using on the website is 5.4.6.3 and the latest supported version as per our version compatibility guide is 5.4.7.3. To help you further, can you please share website login and FTP credentials in a secure note for us to take a closer look?

Thanks.

Hi @jeremy4,

May I know your FTP login credentials for your staging site? Automatic update is not available in your staging.

I see this often even on our hosting and it because Wordpress fails to install the update corrupting the plugin. I recommend installing the latest plugin through FTP too. That way, you can have a backup of your working plugin (just rename it) and you can put it back if the new version fails.

Thanks!

Thank you @Rad, I will give you FTP login credentials for the staging site in a secure note. All active plugins on the staging site are currently up to date, except for Slider Revolution. If I update Slider Revolution the site will break.

Hi @jeremy4,

The FTP credentials that you provided is invalid and it looks the same as admin login credentials. Perhaps you sent a wrong one?

Thanks!

Hi @Rad yes the login credentials are the same. Simply enter those credentials here:

rb1.56d.myftpupload.com/wp-admin

Hi @jeremy4,

That’s your Wordpress admin, what we’re requesting is the FTP admin login credentials. And that’s something we’ll enter to our FTP client and not to that URL :slight_smile:

Or, you can provide your hosting login credentials so we could just use the file manager instead of FTP.

Thanks!

Hi @Rad, sorry about that! I will provide FTP login credentials in a secure note.

Hello @jeremy4,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I have resolved the problem and now the Revolution Slider seems to be working fine. Here is a screenshot. https://cloudup.com/chY3ZcjOjv6

Thanks.

Hi @Prasant it still appears that Revolution Slider has not been updated to version 5.4.7.3
Revolution Slider broke the site when I tried to update the plugin. Consequently, I reverted to a backup of the site. I was able to update all other active plugins accept for Revolution Slider.

Hello There,

After you have updated RevSlider to 5.4.7.3, you will need to flush the cache before testing your site.

Hope this helps.

Hi @RueNel, flushing cache wasn’t an option. As soon as RevSlider was updated to 5.4.7.3 the entire site went down. I had to revert to a backup 48 hours before the incident. After that I cloned a staging site for us to take a look at to try and figure out what happened. I systematically updated all active plugins except for RevSlider on this staging site to see how the site would be affected and everything has been fine. So the issue is isolated: If RevSlider is updated it will break the site. I was hoping we could look at it and try to figure out why before updating.

Hello There,

The most usual cause of this issue could be PHP memory exhaustion or PHP time limit. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

In terms of the PHP Time Limit, you will need further assistance from your hosting provider asking them to increase your PHP Time limit to at least 300ms.

For further troubleshooting, may we request that you enable the debug mode to figure out what may have caused the issue. You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

When you update the RevSlider plugin, you should see some error output describing the issue in more detail. And we might know why and how we can resolve it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you @RueNel I’ve updated the wp-config.php file with

define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);

As for increasing the PHP Time Limit to 300ms or more, my hosting provider suggested doing this by creating a php.ini file, and I was directed to two plugins WordPress phpinfo() and PHP Settings. Screenshots for both of these plugins are attached. Should I test the site before doing this to see if increasing the memory allocated to PHP was enough?

Hi,

Yes, please test your site first before doing that.

You can also try adding set time limit in your wp-config.php file.

eg.

set_time_limit(300);
define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Hope that helps

Thank you @paul I followed your directions and looked to see if it worked by creating a myphpinfo.php file, but both the time limit and memory limit were still the same.

I then did it by creating a php.ini file and adding the following code

<?php memory_limit = 256M; max_execution_time = 300; ?>

As verified at http://rb1.56d.myftpupload.com/myphpinfo.php this appears to have worked! Am I in any danger in utilizing this method? Should I now try to update RevSlider and see what happens?