Responsive images srcset image-set please!

Hi,

Three years ago Wordpress incorporated responsive images in its core (scrset image-set). Theme X disabled it and has since then not made any progress on incorporating in the theme (at least not that we know off). All I read in previous posts is promisses about the team working on it. For years already.

Serving images that are too large for mobile devices is becoming a big problem in the digital world that is focussing more and more on imagery. Wordpress has solved that three years ago, after meticulous developing and testing. To be honest, I think it is outrageous that Themeco has been giving it so little priority in the past three years, and on top of that keeps their customers completely in the mist that whole time regarding an ETA.

This attitude is starting to become a true deal braker for me. I own about 10 licences now, but I cannot convince any new customers to buy a theme for wordpress where its developers so blatantly ignore this essential part of Wordpress, the open source software that is the (lucrative) core of your business.

Please be open about your plans, and provide us with an ETA.

Cheers

1 Like

Hello @mateoserendipia,

Thank you for the very detailed post information. So far, we do not have an ETA yet. I will follow up on this issue with our developers. It might be out when we release the Pro 2.6 or X 6.6.x version.

For the meantime, please check out this thread:

Hi RueNel,

Thanks for the responsive. I find it hard to understand why there is not even an estimated time of arrival, when it supposedly has been dwelling on your (team’s) agenda for over three years now…

Having said that, I tried the code in the post your referred to. It doesn’t work. That post was from last january. Can you confirm that code still works at your end?

Cheers

Hey @mateoserendipia,

The code still works the same as my previous test. Please watch the screencast at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/enable-native-wordpress-responsive-images-forth-time-lucky/50592/4?u=christian_y

There’s another user previously who used it and said it didn’t work but it was a problem on his side:

Please try it using a fresh child theme and deactivate all third-party plugins to ensure there’s no conflict. Also ensure you’re using Full Size images.

Thanks.

Hi @mateoserendipia

This is Alex, director of development here at Themeco. I can shed some more light on what’s happening here. First off, in the next version of X we stopped disabling the native WordPress functionality per the hook they included. Here’s a patched version that includes that change:

If you install this, you’ll need to install the updated version of Cornerstone as well which is in the framework folder. The fastest way would just be deleting Cornerstone and letting the theme prompt you to install it again.

We still haven’t built a solution for including the source sets for images managed by the content builder. To be 100% honest this is something we’ve categorized alongside what we’re internally calling a “theme options reboot”. We have a development cycle planned where we’ll be revisiting many things at a core level and add new Theme Options to control them. We felt like the best time to develop a solution for responsive images would be alongside other potential changes that would be happening at a template level. To add a bit more context, that update will let you keep things how you’ve managed them before or opt-in to a new set of core templates that utilize a whole new set of theme options with granular control. (At a deeply technical level it will be like a new stack being introduced). There are two other milestones we’re working towards first, notably the element cycle we’re in now and a layout builder (builder to make archive/single/page templates) cycle after that.

I apologize for how us putting responsive images in the theme options bucket has delayed things. It’s categorically prioritized, but might not be the best prioritization in terms of keeping up with standards. We will be reconsidering this feature specifically and seeing if there’s more that can be done near term to meet this need. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

1 Like

Hey @alexander

Serving appropriately sized images is quite important. Please consider adding this in before the theme options reboot.

Hi @JVP,

Thank you for the feedback and for expressing your concern. We will inform our development team about your concern.

Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.