Problem after update to Cornerstone 2.1.4

Hi,

I have just updated the X theme to the latest version and that all went fine. The problem comes when I try the Cornerstone update. After trying this I just get a white page when looking at my dashboard and the site has gone a bit screwy on the headlines.

I have left things as they are for now, hopefully it won’t take you long to take a look.

I checked the best practises and have WP-debug set to true and am using PHP 7.01. Sorry not very easy to set a staging enviroment, have tried it before via the siteground system and it didn’t seem to work very well. Changing things on the staging copy ended up changing stuff on the live site anyway.

Edit to add: There appears to be a problem with Envira Gallery related to the latest Cornerstone.

Regards,

Mark

Okay I did a bit of searching on the forum when I worked out what the issue probably was and found this message;

So I have removed the envira-gallery.php file and now have access to my dashbaord again. The problem is that my site is still screwed up on the headlines following this latest cornerstone update. It appears they have lost all formatting and CSS.

Site is left as is so you can see what I am talking about and you should now be able to login to the dashboard again.

Edit to add: Following being able to get access to the dashboard again I checked the log and it is now showing the error included in the secure note.

Regards,

Mark

Edit to add: Have rolled back the site to the previous version of cornerstone as this one still has problems, which seem to be related to the plugin itself, rather than conflicts on my site.

Hey Mark,

We acknowledge the Envira Gallery bug. Please stay tuned for the official fix.

Regarding the styles not working, it sounds like it’s caused by a caching plugin. If you’re using a caching plugin, please completely uninstall it. Please contact the caching plugin developer to learn how to do that. Caching plugins might leave configurations in wp-config or somewhere in your site that could cause issues.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have disabled the comet cache plugin I was using and have gone back to using the Siteground Super Cache. Are you saying that I should not be running any caching at all to get Cornerstone working correctly? I will completely remove the comet cache, but would like to run some caching if possible.

When doing an update I always disable cache before doing it.

Regards,

Mark

Is there a place I can see known problems before I attempt updates?

Hi Mark,

You can still use your cache plugin, just make sure to clear it’s cache after every update.

Because it’s possible to implement a change, and not have it take place because a cached version of the page or various resources are loading instead of the latest version.

With regards to known problems, you can check our compatibility page before updating any plugin

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I am not new to clearing caches as I have been using Wordpress and the X theme since 2014.

I just completely disabled the cache system, cleared all cache on both the site and the server and tried the cornerstone update again, to go from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4.

This is what my headings looked like before doing the update - https://www.evernote.com/l/AHZx1zFgD2pH95QasrjOK0nmLnVi6SUjD-IB/image.jpg

This is what they all ended up looking like after doing the latest cornerstone update - https://www.evernote.com/l/AHYqIvf1u_5ECZH1i57ABtel4LRI7jdeFrkB/image.jpg

This is what happened last time as well, so I have again rolled back the update and so my headings don’t get screwed up. Can you have a proper look at this as it doesn’t seem to be a cache problem.

If you want to login to my site and try the update to see the problem live for yourself that is fine, as I am able to roll back the update afterwards if needed.

In respect to the plugin compatibility page shown, that page would not have shown me that there was a known problem with Envira gallery in regards to updating to Cornerstone 2.1.4. I was asking if there is a page which shows known problems before attempting updates.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

An update for X 5.2.4 and Cornerstone 2.1.6 was already released which address the bugs including about the Envira plugin.

You can find more information about the update here.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I did the update to Cornerstone 2.1.6 and it did exactly the same thing to my headings as my last post. So I have rolled back to 2.1.3.

Please can you have a proper look at my site and tell me why this is happening.

BTW I turned off and cleared my cache before doing the update, so that wasn’t the problem.

Regards,

Mark

Hey Mark,

I have taken some time investigating your site. I found out that there is stray end tag </div> which affected the page. It could be coming from a custom html or could probably came from Cornerstone Elements Pack One plugin. I wanted to test for a plugin content but your site is live. Maybe we could test this in a staging environment so that we can figure out why you are experiencing issues. We tried replicating the update from 2.1.3 to 2.1.6 in our local testing and nothing would change in the heading titles. We assume that this may have been caused by a 3rd party plugin or custom code. You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you for taking a look. It does seem strange to me as the problem with headings after the cornerstone update is on every page.

I have created a staging copy of the site using sitegrounds tools and will include the login details on a secure note.

Having created the staging copy I have logged into it and done the cornerstone update and the heading have all gone strange on all pages. I have made sure that I have turned the cache off and tried disabling all plugins but the headings still remain wrong.

This is what the staging copy looks like with all plugins turned off, except cornerstone - https://www.evernote.com/l/AHbi57ymADJPvYIiowYuuJQuknjUtvpoLYUB/image.png

Perhaps you could login into the staging copy and help me to work out what the issue is.

Hi There,

After checking, I have notice that your live site is using incompatible versions. X 5.2.4 and Cornerstone 2.1.3. The difference in heading is markup:

Since there is issue on preview on staging not using the correct URL, I cannot check the element directly. It should work the same with the following settings on Headline:

Are you explaining to me that the problem is that you can’t update cornerstone due to the settings on the headers is causing it to fail? Not really understanding why I can’t use H1 as a tag for the heading and what I need to do to sort it out. I have created a fresh copy of the live site for staging, but when I go into it the cornerstone won’t load.

So from what I can gather this isn’t a caching problem or an incompatibility with 3rd party plugins, but is something to do with the settings that I have on my headings.

Can you login to my live site and make the changes needed, so that the latest compatible cornerstone can be updated? If you just make the changes needed to the headings on the first page, I will copy the changes made to the other page headings, do the update and report back.

Hey @Pixel8r,

What @Lely is saying is that, in your live site, you’re using span as the headline tag.

In your staging, you’re using an h1.

I am not yet sure why it went from span to h1 (tag reset) when I updated Cornerstone in your staging site. I tried to edit it in Cornerstone but because SiteGround uses the your live site’s domain as your staging’s WordPress and Site URL, Cornerstone won’t load.

I’ll make a report on this but for now, is it possible that you update Cornerstone in your live site and redo the headline settings. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding your question why you can’t use h1. Sorry for the confusion. You can use h1. We just need to figure out why this happens.

Thanks.

That is very strange as when I login to my live site and check the first headline element on the home page it shows that H1 is set as the tag.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AHbo32GwL6lCVqfrtJ_FjbPja-IFmPSycREB/image.png

Are you saying to me that I should do the cornerstone update on my live site and then edit the headings in cornerstone? I have noticed that this is only happening on the headlines I have changed to be the new V2 extentsion headlines, looking at the staging site you can see the old classic headlines look just fine.

To me this is seeming to be a bug in the new v2 element headline code. Maybe I will get around to swapping them back to classic elements and upgrade.

Edit to add: I have just updated the staging copy to the latest wordpress, x and cornerstone versions but the problem is still there. I went into conerstone on the staging site and set the font family in text format for the headings to headings, the formatting has returned but the font selected is the body font rather than the heading one. The font doesn’t change if I select, inherit, body or headings.

Hi there,

I tried to login to your staging site using the details you provided previously to do some checking but I got locked out as soon as I tried to login once.

Would you mind providing the updated admin details so that we can check your setup?

Thank you.

I have just checked and seem to have no problem logging in with the details given. Will put again in secure note.

Hi there,

Thanks, I’m able to log in but been trying to edit your home page in staging and it won’t load. Simply because the internal URLs doesn’t match with staging URLs. I see the same view as the provided screenshot by Christian.

How did you edit your staging?

Plus, if you don’t wish to render it has H1, then you may select other like span. It’s a drop-down option and not limited to one.

And setting the font family to Heading doesn’t mean it will automatically become a headline look alike. In only inherit what font family you have assigned to Heading. It’s a font template which you only named Heading and not because it’s a headline. You should change font weight and size to make it appear a heading.

Thanks!

Hi,

Cornerstone does load in the staging but the preview does not, you can still edit the setting by going to the skeleton view and clicking an element, making a change and then hitting save. So you can edit in staging and just have another window to view the results after saving. Am I having to teach the expert support staff here?

My headings I like to assign h1, h2, h3 etc. as the tag. Being told the solution to my problem is that I need to set all headings to span doesn’t seem right to me for SEO.

Yes I realise that I have set body and heading font types in the customizer when building the site in the first place. I also realise that when I select font family in cornerstone for an element that it should be changing the font type to the type previously assigned in customizer. What I was explaining was that on changing that setting the font will just show as the body font, not as the font assigned to heading as it was peviously. In the customizer I have set that Lusitania is my body font and Raleway is my heading font. Yet my headings are showing up on the edited staging home page as Lustitania whatever I select!

This is sure taking a long time to solve these issues. I am not going to risk updating my live site as there are so many problems in the staging site that are showing. When I get the staging site working correctly I will transfer things to the live site.

Hey Mark,

I am sorry for the confusion regarding Cornerstone preview. Please accept my personal apologies.

I logged into the website and just to test if the problem can be replicated on my end or not. I created new heading template and selected Lusitana as the font. Next, I created a test page and added headline element in that and selected heading template I created and the changes are working absolutely fine. I am sharing few screenshots please have a look.

1. Heading template: https://screencast.com/t/q6gFyNKH
  2. Cornerstone test page: https://screencast.com/t/0BGCrrd92xSu
  3. Browser result: https://www.screencast.com/t/HSM3HVhD2

After that I checked your home page and headline element you have after navigation. I changed the headline template and there also I selected Raleway. I reloaded the home page and changes are getting reflected over there. Please see screenshots:

1. Heading template: https://screencast.com/t/fiuhzwlNky83
  2. Home page: https://www.screencast.com/t/p5jb4b3v
  3. Browser result: https://screencast.com/t/oo9d3pgg

Can you please try again as on my end it’s working fine?

Thanks.