Pro update from 2.2.5 to 2.3.8 is failing, cannot reach settings page

Found a new error I missed earlier

(see secure note)

The browser loading spinner stops and it appears to be game over.

Also, I updated wp-config to use

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

… but no debug and no luck.

Browser refresh at this point has me stuck in ‘scheduled maintenance’ (triggered by the theme update I started but failed to finish). I have to wait a few minutes before it will come back to life.

This seems relevant: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/pro-editor-wont-load/29841/17

Those memory settings are pretty dang high - what changed that this much memory is required to run this theme?

Attempted to disconnect jetpack from site but that also failed (indicated an error in the JSON) and it has that websocket error reported earlier in my thread. I ended up removing it from the plugins page and that seems to have worked.

I had a few security plugins in place due to some past issues - they have all been deactivated.

no cache plugins in use.

I cleared the style caching in the theme.

??!?!?

Web socket errors no longer happening, getting this error (same/similar as reported in the pro forum link I posted above):

see secure note

Went here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/question-273/

Found this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29894154/chrome-neterr-incomplete-chunked-encoding-error

I have an endpoint security solution that I am running - I am now checking that to see if there is any correlation - this is crazy. :frowning:

Checked - no indication of anything happening or that it is blocking something.

no update from support in an hour - I’m backing up my entire website using ftp.

this experience has not been pleasant.

I’ve disabled any/all possible site plugins that could cause any type of interruption/caching/security restrictions. I have applied wp-config updates as instructed (trying a few alternative suggestions from other wp and php sites). I have cleared full browser history/cache. I have disabled all of my local/machine security precautions and it’s the same net err.

I cannot upgrade your product. I have received inconsistent and fragmented help suggestions from the staff.

Not happy with the support provided.

Currently searching for alternative solution to using this theme - which will be painful - however anything is better than current status.

I discovered my site was running wip 4.9.8 using php 5.x,

I upgraded to php 7.2 and attempted to reinstall wp 4.9.8 but that reinstall failed.

I was curious if there was something chrome specific related to this issue and switched to using Firefox instead and got the same result during “Unpacking the update…” phase of the re-install. Only difference is there is no error in the Firefox console.

I just noticed the note about NOT bumping the thread - interesting - is that to keep folks from spamming the thread to get your attention? It’s understandable but counter-intuitive (if I find/report more information I am penalized?).

Hi JMac,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.

Please note that self responding or bumping your post pushes it back in our Queue system so it takes longer to respond to.

I can see you have checked this link - https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/pro-editor-wont-load/29841/17
Have you tried that increasing all those settings? It’s not just memory but also the the other settings

php_value upload_max_filesize 200M
php_value post_max_size 200M
php_value max_execution_time 600
php_value max_input_time 600

You also need to make sure that you have the following versions of php and mysql as required by wordpress

PHP version 7.2 or greater.
MySQL version 5.6 or greater

If these doesn’t help, kindly note that you can always update manually using FTP.

Please check Manual Update section on the link below

Thanks

Thanks Paul.

I was able to update my site to php 7.2 via my cpanel but I haven’t updated my .htaccess using those settings yet - honestly I have to lookup how exactly to add those statements correctly (the link didn’t include the full proper syntax and I haven’t added mods to htaccess for php in a long while).

Let me reconfirm a few things:

• php 7.2
  • mysql innodb 5.6.39-xx.x
  • wp 4.9.8 (latest)

wp-config.php:

• define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);
  • define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
  • define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘728M’ );

plugins/caching/etc

• no wp cache plugin (crazy I know but I never needed it with this host)
  • cleared style cache (once I could reach pro > settings again)
  • removed/disabled all security related plugins
  • cleared browser cache
  • disabled my personal use of VPN (seems unrelated but whutevs)

The error I get in chrome dev console (but not FF console) is:

GET <redacted>/wp-admin/update.php?action=update-selected-themes&themes=pro&wpnonce=178584b1f9 net::ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING 200 (OK)

I have no idea what could be causing this. Lots of odd suggestions for this one going back years with folks claiming everything from AV to opcode settings to meteors passing near earth’s atmosphere but nothing concrete.

I’ll try adding those php_value statements (looks like prior to the wordpress block) and report back. wish me luck.

site did not like my htaccess changes.

I am attempting the manual upgrade via FTP now.

Hi,

You need to contact your host to be able to increase those settings.

Tried to do some more research and it seems to be a wordpress issue rather than the theme.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enPH819PH819&ei=gP0AXMyrOsWBvwSR27jgCg&q=wordpress+theme+update+ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING&oq=wordpress+theme+update+ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING&gs_l=psy-ab.3...15726.16358..16489...0.0..0.150.835.0j6…0…1…gws-wiz…0i71.jD689LIQ8MM

Yeah perhaps I do but I do have ability to edit htaccess :slight_smile:

Honestly not sure what the root cause of the net::ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING is but maybe we can figure this out together?

meanwhile, attempting manual upgrade via FTP :crossed_fingers:

Manual update via FTP complete - WP shows I have no updates and Pro shows 2.3.8.

I’m going to turn off wp-config debug (it did nothing to help) and I’m going to set the mem limit and max mem limits to 512M.

I’m also going to restore my security plugins (required for this client) and test things out.

Yikes that was challenging!

Hi,

Glad it worked out using FTP.

Have a great day!

Update - site is 500 internal server error (again). :face_with_head_bandage:

It loads extremely slow if it does load.

Not out of the woods yet (further, but, not done yet)

Update - site is limping but operational.

Looking at optimizations but here are my current settings/status…

wp-config

• debug: false
  • mem limit: 256M
  • mem max limit: 512M

wp plugins re-enabled

• jetpack
  • wordfence (WAF, AV, etc)
  • ip geo block
  • loginizer
  • reCAPTCHA

Jetpack plugin error has returned:
Error updating settings. Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0

I think this is unrelated - generally the site is ‘working’ but it’s super slow. I’ll experiment with the mem settings, plugin combinations (and compatibility) and explore a caching solution if per continues to be an issue.

I think that’s enough for tonight. Thanks all who helped.

You’re most welcome and thanks for sharing!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.