Pro Editor won't load

Hello @joeeugene,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Looking at the screenshot and the error message net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET seems to be a local internet or firewall issue. Can you please check your firewall or try accessing the website in a different computer?

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Thanks @Prasant but that didnt fix it.
5+ users have reported this issue.

Now it seems theres a new issue w a syntax error…please advise

Hi There,

Please provide us login credentials (wp-admin & FTP) in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Hi joeeugene,

I’ve checked your website now and I can see this error in the console net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING:

This error could be related to several things, many of them are related to server configuration, I recommend reporting this issue to your hosting provider along with these links as they might be helpful in debugging this issue:

Thanks.

Hi Alaa,

I’ve received the following response from Azure Support staff:

Thank you for your time in helping us troubleshoot this.

As discussed:

• We have no firewall or security rule to blocking these particular javascript files. This is shown because you can access the file URL directly. These files are also accessible when used in the application in the same Service Plan that has a different WordPress theme.
  • Your files receive a 200 OK HTTP status before failing.
  • We used the .htaccess file to see if there were any permissions issues in your code and there were not.
  • There was a WordPress core update the week of April 3rd which is the same week that this issue started. This could have had an effect on this theme.

We currently have 3 active Web Apps, all created using the Wordpress on Linux Web App template in the Azure Marketplace using the same App Service Plan and sharing those resources (CPU, RAM, and Storage)

[redacted for privacy]

1 and 2 are using the Pro Theme and are having issues. 3 is using a different custom theme and is not experiencing any issues. I FTP’d into [redacted] and downloaded the cs.js file to my desktop. I then FTP’d into [redacted] and created the same folder structure and copied the cs.js file there. Then I browsed to all 3 cs.js files a viewed them in the browser over http/s.

[redacted for privacy]

Take a look at them yourself and compare the files. There is almost no difference to the original file and the [redacted] file. The [redacted] and [redacted] files have been truncated half way through. They are unable to load fully. Based on this, I don’t think it is anything in Azure or on the web server hosted there, otherwise I would expect the same result on [redacted]. They are leaving the ticket open and they are trying to work with me but this problem seems to be fairly complicated.

One other thing to note is that this was all working from the time we installed the Pro Theme back in November of last year up until the first week of April. That is the same week our wordpress core updated to 4.9.5. I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or if something else changed.

Given this information, could you take a look again? I’m wondering if it’s something in .htaccess or a plugin that is now interfering with the Theme after the Wordpress Core update.

Thanks,
Joe

Hello Joe,

Thanks for updating in and the very detailed information. I have investigated the issue and it points to your server configuration. Please take time to check the following links as it relates to your issue:

For the error: ailed to load resource: net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

I have ruled out antivirus, both local and on the server. I’ve disabled my client side antivirus and tried to load the editor in an incognito window and private window in both Chrome and Firefox. I’ve added the line

SetEnv downgrade-1.0

to the .htaccess file as suggested in the link you provided and it still didn’t resolve the issue. The chunked encoding error doesn’t actually happen as often as simply a net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error on those two javascripts.

I’ve ruled out my local network by trying this at the office, at my home, and hotspotting to my phone.

I can browse directly to either javascript on both the [redacted] site and the [redacted] site so I know the server isn’t blocking it, however the connection times out and the whole script doesn’t load.

However, as my previous post noted. Using the same server environment on the same host on a wordpress instance that does not have the Pro theme installed, I could upload the exact same javascript to the site and then browse to it and see it in full ([redacted]). Click on the links in my previous post and compare them. [Now in a secure note]

All three sites are in a simple linux docker container running apache and an external separate mysql db server. They do not have anything fancy or out of the ordinary configured. Please take a look at the github repository: https://github.com/Azure-App-Service/apps/tree/master/apache-php-mysql/0.2

Because of these results, I am not convinced it is a server configuration issue. Could you provide something more specific than forcing the site to HTTP 1.0 or an antivirus/firewall blocking them? Could you check the .htaccess file or maybe the wp-config.php file to see if there is something there that might be messing with your editor js scripts?

Thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe,

The problem could not be loading the file by itself but the operations that the file is involved in.

I inspected your .htaccess and I saw rules (see Secure Note) coming from WP Hummingbird which is a security plugin that does not exist in your plugins folder anymore. Would you mind, just for testing, removing those rules or try resetting your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button. If your site breaks after this, just delete the newly generated htaccess and just remove -bak from your original htaccess.

Did you also try testing for a plugin conflict? In case you did not, you can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time. Please let us know the result of this.

I’ve upgraded my test site to WP 4.9.5 and I did not get this issue. But, could you try downgrading to the previous version or try reverting to a previous working state of your site.

Thanks.

UPDATE: I updated one of my site to WordPress 4.9.5 and Pro 2.0.4 and I got the issue. It’s not exactly like yours.

But, it’s somewhat similar.

I’ll test further.

UPDATE: Pro 2.0.4 is working in my test site now. No errors in the console anymore.

What I did was, I cleared all caches, deactivated and deleted my caching plugin (making sure there are no left over caching related configuration in wp-config.php and htaccess) and then I changed my salt keys. This is somehow related to Nonces but I’m not exactly sure.

Please try it on your end and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks.

This ticket was brought to my attention and I wanted to chime in. I’ve looked into this, and I can’t find any reason this would be a problem with the theme itself.

Thank you so much for the testing you’ve done yourself. The test you did by uploading the javascript files was very helpful and revealing. So if we look at these files again: (moved to secure note)

Your observation was that some of the files didn’t fully load. When I checked myself I found the results (at this time) are a bit different. acceleratorsummit.ca and wavefront.ca loaded all the way to completion, but digitalsupercluster.ca did not.

So it would seem that something intermittent is causing the files to fail partway through. This would point to a problem with how the server is setup. Azure’s team mentioned the file was served with a 200 (OK) status code but failed. Perhaps they didn’t observe that the file being served by the web server was no longer identical to the file on disk. I would recommend bringing that to their attention if you haven’t already. Once the server is providing the full file instead of letting it timeout you shouldn’t see this problem anymore

Part of the could just be that these javascript files are very large. For Pro 2.1 we’ve been able to reduce the file size quite a bit so that should help when it’s released.

Thanks guys, I’ve got some things to try and will report back

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

I just wanted to keep you posted. I tried the following on [redacted]:

1. cleared cache from any cacheing plugins
  2. deactivated caching plugins
  3. deleted caching plugins
  4. cleared all caching/gzip code associated with those plugins in .htaccess
  5. changed salt keys in wp-config.php
  6. Paused CloudFlare on [redacted] so it only acts as DNS

I’m still seeing the net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error. For whatever reason, these two javascripts do not want to download fully before the connection times out.

Note: before I paused CloudFlare and after I did everything up to the salt key change, I saw two other errors:

• over http, I saw net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING
  • and over https I saw net::ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR.

I think CloudFlare was doing something with caching to cause the browser to do weird things.

I will follow up with Azure Support. Do you have an approximate release date for Pro 2.1? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I don’t have an ETA from the team yet but from their last update, I’d say we’re close to launching it. This issue however could be related to the way Azure is serving different file mime types, so perhaps this suggestion mentioned here would work, could you or your hosting provider please give it a try?

Thanks.

Hi folks,

After some back and forth with Azure support and turning on debugging logs, we still couldn’t figure out what was causing this problem. On a whim, the Azure support tech suggested doubling the php max file size and memory limit. So in .htacces, I’ve now got

php_value upload_max_filesize 200M
php_value post_max_size 200M
php_value max_execution_time 600
php_value max_input_time 600

And in wp-config.php, I also doubled the wordpress max memory limit to:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');
define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1024M');

And it works!

1GB of RAM a website seems like a lot to me. Is that out of the ordinary or is it pretty normal?

Thanks,
Joe

Hello Joe,

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M');
define('WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '728');

This setting should be enough to run the theme and Content editor smoothly. The PHP memory limit will probably increase if you have several other 3rd party plugins installed.

Hope this helps.

Hi Alexander,

Now that this is solved, do you mind editing your post and removing the links? I’ve redacted the domain names in all my posts to keep things a little more private. I’ve left the links in a secure note attached to my post above for your staff’s reference.

Thanks,
Joe

Hi there,

I moved the URL in the secure note. Glad it’s okay now.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.