Pro update from 2.2.5 to 2.3.8 is failing, cannot reach settings page

Hey JMac,

You can login through FTP then edit the wp-config.php file and find the line: define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );. Set it to true then save the file. Log back in the admin area and you should be able to see some more error information when you redo the steps you are having issues with.

If you are getting an error message that suggests: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxx bytes exhausted, it means that you need to have the PHP memory limit of your site increased.

To do this, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

In case the issue persists, please try to get in touch with your hosting provider and confirm to them that your PHP memory limit is increased.

If you are still having an issue, please provide us with the FTP details as well so that we can check further.

Hope this helps.

I replied with a user account so someone can login (which seemed like a terribly bad idea). I am going to delete that account if someone who can help won’t login to debug. Please advise ASAP.

I modified my debug to true and now for some magic reason I can get to pro > settings.

I cleared the style cache (something I could not do previously) and I’m attempting to see what else might be weird/wrong.

I will attempt to update the theme to latest and see if debug helps me find out what’s going on.

Theme updated failed - Gateway Timeout

browser console shows:
WebSocket connection to ‘wss://public-api.wordpress.com/pinghub/wpcom/me/newest-note-data’ failed: Error during WebSocket handshake: Unexpected response code: 403

I am using a VPN - attempting to verify if there is something up with that web socket that’s failing. no other plugin appears to be causing the issue.

Version 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Hi JMac,

I am seeing your PRO version as 2.2.5 did you restore it? Please update to the latest version

Updating Your Themes and Plugins

Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

If you still encounter the issue, please increase PHP Maximum Execution Time and Increase the PHP Memory Limit.

If that does not work, please provide us the site URL and login credentials (wp-admin and FTP) in a Secure note so we can take a closer look.

And please do not bump your thread, because it will automatically get back in the queue.

Thanks,

Are you reading this thread or just commenting for fun?

• I have been attempting to upgrade but cannot - it times out (either 500 internal server or 504 gateway timeout)
  • I added debug: true to wp-config.php (suddenly I can reach pro > settings !??!)
  • I provided a login (no sign of anyone using it)
  • I am attempting the upgrade again (no debug output)
  • found some jetpack ‘newest-note’data’ error (found this: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/403-forbiden-public-api-wordpress-com-pinghub-wpcom-me-newest-note-data/ but not helpful)
  • my site is now down (again) with “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.”

I’m going to arbitrarily try the memory limit increase (I’m aware that shitty host providers on shared resources can be a bottleneck) but this hasn’t been the case recently/previously.

Wish me luck and please read this entire thread.

Found a new error I missed earlier

(see secure note)

The browser loading spinner stops and it appears to be game over.

Also, I updated wp-config to use

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

… but no debug and no luck.

Browser refresh at this point has me stuck in ‘scheduled maintenance’ (triggered by the theme update I started but failed to finish). I have to wait a few minutes before it will come back to life.

This seems relevant: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/pro-editor-wont-load/29841/17

Those memory settings are pretty dang high - what changed that this much memory is required to run this theme?

Attempted to disconnect jetpack from site but that also failed (indicated an error in the JSON) and it has that websocket error reported earlier in my thread. I ended up removing it from the plugins page and that seems to have worked.

I had a few security plugins in place due to some past issues - they have all been deactivated.

no cache plugins in use.

I cleared the style caching in the theme.

??!?!?

Web socket errors no longer happening, getting this error (same/similar as reported in the pro forum link I posted above):

see secure note

Went here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/question-273/

Found this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29894154/chrome-neterr-incomplete-chunked-encoding-error

I have an endpoint security solution that I am running - I am now checking that to see if there is any correlation - this is crazy. :frowning:

Checked - no indication of anything happening or that it is blocking something.

no update from support in an hour - I’m backing up my entire website using ftp.

this experience has not been pleasant.

I’ve disabled any/all possible site plugins that could cause any type of interruption/caching/security restrictions. I have applied wp-config updates as instructed (trying a few alternative suggestions from other wp and php sites). I have cleared full browser history/cache. I have disabled all of my local/machine security precautions and it’s the same net err.

I cannot upgrade your product. I have received inconsistent and fragmented help suggestions from the staff.

Not happy with the support provided.

Currently searching for alternative solution to using this theme - which will be painful - however anything is better than current status.

I discovered my site was running wip 4.9.8 using php 5.x,

I upgraded to php 7.2 and attempted to reinstall wp 4.9.8 but that reinstall failed.

I was curious if there was something chrome specific related to this issue and switched to using Firefox instead and got the same result during “Unpacking the update…” phase of the re-install. Only difference is there is no error in the Firefox console.

I just noticed the note about NOT bumping the thread - interesting - is that to keep folks from spamming the thread to get your attention? It’s understandable but counter-intuitive (if I find/report more information I am penalized?).

Hi JMac,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.

Please note that self responding or bumping your post pushes it back in our Queue system so it takes longer to respond to.

I can see you have checked this link - https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/pro-editor-wont-load/29841/17
Have you tried that increasing all those settings? It’s not just memory but also the the other settings

php_value upload_max_filesize 200M
php_value post_max_size 200M
php_value max_execution_time 600
php_value max_input_time 600

You also need to make sure that you have the following versions of php and mysql as required by wordpress

PHP version 7.2 or greater.
MySQL version 5.6 or greater

If these doesn’t help, kindly note that you can always update manually using FTP.

Please check Manual Update section on the link below

Thanks

Thanks Paul.

I was able to update my site to php 7.2 via my cpanel but I haven’t updated my .htaccess using those settings yet - honestly I have to lookup how exactly to add those statements correctly (the link didn’t include the full proper syntax and I haven’t added mods to htaccess for php in a long while).

Let me reconfirm a few things:

• php 7.2
  • mysql innodb 5.6.39-xx.x
  • wp 4.9.8 (latest)

wp-config.php:

• define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true);
  • define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
  • define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘728M’ );

plugins/caching/etc

• no wp cache plugin (crazy I know but I never needed it with this host)
  • cleared style cache (once I could reach pro > settings again)
  • removed/disabled all security related plugins
  • cleared browser cache
  • disabled my personal use of VPN (seems unrelated but whutevs)

The error I get in chrome dev console (but not FF console) is:

GET <redacted>/wp-admin/update.php?action=update-selected-themes&themes=pro&wpnonce=178584b1f9 net::ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING 200 (OK)

I have no idea what could be causing this. Lots of odd suggestions for this one going back years with folks claiming everything from AV to opcode settings to meteors passing near earth’s atmosphere but nothing concrete.

I’ll try adding those php_value statements (looks like prior to the wordpress block) and report back. wish me luck.

site did not like my htaccess changes.

I am attempting the manual upgrade via FTP now.

Hi,

You need to contact your host to be able to increase those settings.

Tried to do some more research and it seems to be a wordpress issue rather than the theme.

https://www.google.com.ph/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enPH819PH819&ei=gP0AXMyrOsWBvwSR27jgCg&q=wordpress+theme+update+ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING&oq=wordpress+theme+update+ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING&gs_l=psy-ab.3...15726.16358..16489...0.0..0.150.835.0j6…0…1…gws-wiz…0i71.jD689LIQ8MM

Yeah perhaps I do but I do have ability to edit htaccess :slight_smile:

Honestly not sure what the root cause of the net::ERRINCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING is but maybe we can figure this out together?

meanwhile, attempting manual upgrade via FTP :crossed_fingers: