Preview not loading and page not found

Hi,

I’m having issues with my website which has both X theme and Cornerstone installed. I did a backup using UpdraftPlus as I usually do after a lot of changes and then made some changes to the HTML in the footer widgets (ie. changed around columns). Then for some reason the preview of all pages under a particular parent category started to not work. I get the error “The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page caching”. Also, I am unable to access these pages on the frontend - I get a 404 error. However, if I change the pages’ parent category to something other than “Dialogue”, everything works again. I tried to revert back to the previous backup but it was no longer there which is strange because I had reverted back to this backup before I made the above changes.

I’ve deactivated and activated all plugins. I’ve cleared my browser cache and reset the permalinks. The website host has also cleared all cache - server, PHP, WordPress. They’ve checked the rewrite rules in the .htaccess, all the file and folder permissions, as well as the PHP version, but to no avail. Also, there are no errors registered in the server’s log so could there be an issue with the plugin?

Out of curiosity I checked to see if I had the most up to date X Theme and I don’t. I have 6.5.5 but on your website you have 6.5.6 for download. I checked my license and it’s activated on both the live and staging sites. Why am I not getting a notification in Wordpress? Before I manually update, can you please check to see if the problem could not easily be resolved on your end.

Thanks!

Hello @Touttavong,

Thanks for writing in! Based on the information that you’ve shared, it looks like that you have a slug conflict. Please find out if there is a page, a post, a category or a tag that bears the same dialogue slug.

If that does not help, please provide us your WP credentials in a secure note when you reply so that we can take a closer look. To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Cheers.

Thanks I thought that may be the issue! In the meantime I reverted back to a previous backup and everything is working fine. I’ve just remembered that I may have caused the issue after changing the CPT UI custom post type from “dialogue_custom_post” to “dialogue”.

If this is certainly the issue, I think there may be some other conflict because I have lots of slugs, and some may be the same. For example, I have a page with the slug “fermented-feelings”, a custom post type “fermented_feelings” and an Essential Grid alias “fermented-feelings”. Are underscores and hyphens considered the same? In the CPT UI plugin settings, I can add a custom rewrite slug because it doesn’t allow spaces or hyphens in the original slug. Also is the Ess. Grid alias the same as a slug? The fermented feelings pages seem to be working fine in Cornerstone and on the frontend, even though there are potentially 3 of the same slugs which was why I wasn’t sure if it was a slug issue.

In any case, should I just create unique page, post, custom post, categories and tags slugs and Ess. Grid aliases?

Thanks!

Hi 9metis,

Underscores and dashes are not considered the same. to be on the safe side I agree that you’d better have a unique name for each case you mentioned.

If you still have the problem after you changed the slugs and went to WordPress Dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and hit the save button again to purge the permalink caches, please get back to us with the URL/User/Pass of your WordPress Dashboard using the Secure Note which my colleague mentioned.

Thank you.

I don’t seem to have this issue anymore after creating unique slugs so I’m not sure if resetting the permalinks fixed it or not. However, it did fix another issue I had with reordering admin menu items! Thanks so much!

Glad that we could be of help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.