Posting video in a blog, live preview shows narrow sliver instead of a full height video

Completely new to Wordpress, the X theme, and using apex support. I feel like I searched quite a bit and never found what I needed. We are trying to set up our blog in the wordpress with the X theme, and we use a video in pretty much every post. I can’t seem to make the video full height. Not sure where I need to go to fix it.

So far, I’ve just gone to “add new” under posts, I put in the content and paste the YouTube URL which displays correctly, but when I go to live preview and click the post, it displays the video wrong. I do have settings set to full width.

Hi there,

Please kindly use the Cornerstone page builder and use the Video Element to add the video and there you will have options to change the width/height and every other aspect of the video.

If you do not know how to use the Cornerstone I suggest that you read the articles under the Cornerstone / Content Builder listing below:
https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/knowledge-base-overview/287

Another alternative is to use the Video format for the post. For more information please read the Video Post format section of the article below:
https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/meta-options-posts/143

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Thank you for your help! So I fixed my video by putting it in cornerstone, it looks perfect. I repeated the process just to make sure I have it down.

Now my only issue is adding a “Watch The Video…” button on the excerpts of these posts. What I found in the forum isn’t really what I’m looking for and I don’t quite understand where these users are coming from. I’m not much of a coder. Is there a setting in Cornerstone where I can just edit the excerpt to add that button in there?

Hi,

You can add manual excerpt with your button in here.

Goodness, thank you. I was making that too complicated.

I’m still not sure how to create a button on the excerpt. I clicked the link below the excerpt box “Learn more about manual excerpts” and it does talk about “How to add a link beneath an excerpt to the full post” but I don’t understand. I want to use the first option it lists, but I’m not sure where to put this code for it to display correctly.

I’m not a coder. I don’t know where <?php the_excerpt(); ?> is located. Can you please help me? I don’t care if it’s a link instead of a button. I just want the functionality there for people to click on.

I appreciate your help!

Hello There,

Since the child theme is set up, please add the following code in your child theme’s functions.php file

// Excerpt More String
// =============================================================================

if ( ! function_exists( 'x_excerpt_string' ) ) :
  function x_excerpt_string( $more ) {

$stack = x_get_stack();

if ( $stack == 'integrity' ) {
      return ' ... <div><a href="' . get_permalink() . '" class="more-link">' . __( 'Read More', '__x__' ) . '</a></div>';
    } else if ( $stack == 'renew' ) {
      return ' ... <a href="' . get_permalink() . '" class="more-link">' . __( 'Read More', '__x__' ) . '</a>';
    } else if ( $stack == 'icon' ) {
      return ' ...';
    } else if ( $stack == 'ethos' ) {
      return ' ...';
    }

}
  add_filter( 'excerpt_more', 'x_excerpt_string' );
endif;

The code above contains the read more link in your blog post items in the blog index or archive pages.

Read more links will only appear when the auto excerpt is generated. If you are using Cornerstone in building the posts and used the manual excerpts, then most probably, read more links will not display.

You will be force to insert a custom read more link. To do that, simply add this code in your child theme’s functions.php file

function display_readmore(){
  echo '<div><a href="' . get_permalink() . '" class="more-link">' . __( 'Read More', '__x__' ) . '</a></div>';
}
add_action('x_before_the_excerpt_end', 'display_readmore');

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

That worked great, thank you so much! I just put both sets of code into the functions.php file. You guys are awesome.

You’re welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.