Plugin updates?

It’s great that some themes put a lot of nice paid plugins, but problem often arises that they just don’t get updated. I was hoping that this theme was different, but I’ve had it a week, and already I see I can’t update Layer Slider and it’s like 3 versions behind. How do I get this updated?

1 Like

Theme.co update the plugins but you have to understand how this works.
Theme.co only add plugins and updates when they’re verified by theme.co…Some plugins get updates which could mess your site up. So updates may take a little longer than expected by at least when you do update…they work

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! We understand your eagerness to update to a latest version of the plugin especially if the update brings in new features. Since these plugins were bundled in X, we are the ones who will provide the plugin updates. Upon clicking on the update now button right in your plugin section, you are connecting to our Themeco plugin repository. You do not connect directly to the plugin’s server. We have to do this because we have to wait and see if the latest release is stable enough. Other plugins give more and more issues instead. That is why, before we update the plugin in the repository, we have to test the latest version first and see if there are no possible conflicts or issues between X/Pro theme and the latest release version.

@TheDude:
Thanks for responding. We really appreciate it.

Best Regards.

I’m not an idiot, I get that. And if you were just one version behind, I wouldn’t say anything at all…but come on here…

1 Like

Hi There @donnas

As we have mentioned on our knowledge base article, the version of LayerSlider included with the theme is made intentionally for numerous reasons. The following is just a few of the reasons why we do not always utilize the latest version of the LayerSlider plugin:

Stability – Newer versions of software do not always equal greater stability. Oftentimes there are undiscovered bugs that are introduced with certain versions and are unknown until the product has been released to the public for some time. The version of the plugin that we bundle with the theme is more or less guaranteed to work without any issues as we take a great deal of time to test all functionality thoroughly before releasing it along with the theme.

Release Cycles – While we try to include the latest version of LayerSlider with each release, occasionally the release cycle of the plugin will prevent this from being possible. Essentially, since we have no idea when LayerSlider will be releasing new versions of the plugin, we cannot plan our releases around this. Because of this, if we have already begun the process of finalizing our release and submitting it to ThemeForest for review while LayerSlider is putting out a new version of the plugin, that version of the plugin will not be able to make it into the theme until the next release at the earliest.

Not Always Necessary – Some of LayerSlider’s releases have only included simple “bug fixes” without any huge additions or modifications to the rest of the plugin. Because of situations like this, it is up to our discretion whether or not a new release will make it into the theme or not based on the nature of the update.

Thanks!

Whatever. Well, you guys are super fantastic about never answering a question. Very business-like…I’ll give you that.

You know, instead of generic responses, …what people typically want when they ask a question like this, is A REAL ANSWER. So WHY? What WAS the specific reason for EACH update you skipped over? If you plan to put another generic answer, DON’T. I’ve had enough from your staff today…you train them well how to close.

1 Like

Hi @donnas,

As mentioned by @mldarshana, many plugins especially slider plugins like LayerSlider, often release a major version like a 6.0 or a 6.5 and then proceed to release numerous small updates that often provide no important fixes or additions.

The last LayerSlider update we pushed was 6.5.5 in mid July, the next one is due to come out by us at the end of this week along with a range of other updates. It’s rare for us to update each plugin as it comes out due to the pure volume of releases and what little each release does.

If a plugin has an important bug fix that breaks the plugin or it has a security flaw, we update the plugin as soon as the release is made (within hours). Every plugin we push is tested with X, Pro, Cornerstone, our integrations, other plugins for compatibility etc which also contributes to why we don’t push every release out.

We don’t provide specific reasons why a certain update wasn’t deemed to be worth pushing a release for. However as mentioned above if the release is important or a customer has an issue that is fixed in the specific point release in question we always push the update.

The last few small/minor point releases for some extensions including LayerSlider where also held back on the basis of our on-going development work with a new release upcoming (this week most likely) where we have the all new V2 elements, this meant more time was required to ensure compatibility with our own update and there was little point in pushing a non-important update if it resulted in any issue with our own elements.

Every release is checked and we work closely with all plugin authors to communicate about issues and whether the release is important and required straight away.

Thanks!

Better. Thank you.

You’re welcome.