Page Speed Performance Tests - Image Optimization

Hi, I have recently changed my site to X Theme (Ethos) and am using the Hummingbird page speed optimisation plugin as well as Smush to keep my image loading times as low as possible. However, despite compressing images with Smush, Hummingbird is flagging that I have poor image optimization?

Do I need to upload images in a certain pixel dimension or file size ? Or is the theme somehow using images that are too big for the HTML holder ?

Any ideas on how to overcome this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Simon,

Thanks for writing in!

Those mentioned images were full image sizes which are used as background images of the featured image in the post item. If you would like to display a smaller version of the image, since the child theme is set up, please add the following code in your child theme’s functions.php file

// Custom Entry Cover Background Image Style
// =============================================================================

if ( ! function_exists( 'x_ethos_entry_cover_background_image_style' ) ) :
  function x_ethos_entry_cover_background_image_style() {

$featured_image   = x_make_protocol_relative( x_get_featured_image_url('medium') );
    $background_image = ( $featured_image != '' ) ? 'background-image: url(' . $featured_image . ');' : 'background-image: none;';

return $background_image;

}
endif;
// =============================================================================

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

Hi, This doesn’t seem to have fixed the problem being reported by Hummingbird, in fact its now flagging a problem with browser caching which it wasn’t before?

Hello Simon,

Would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thank you.

Hi, I’ve added a secure note with the login details. Thanks

Hi,

We need admin access to be able to check on this. The one provided don’t have access to wordpress dashboard.

For the mean time, please review the link below

Thanks

Apologies, I’ve added admin status to the login details now.

Hi,

I checked with gtmetrix and your images seems to be fine.

Please note that website optimization is outside the scope of support. To give you an idea how to fix the other issues kindly refer to the link below.

Hope that helps

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.