Page preview cannot load

Hello. I am still developing our website at http://buildingcommunityonbowen.ca/ I would like to change the year in the copyright notice on the landing page. I am using Pro 2.4.6. Whenever I go to Content and select the page to edit, I get the following error message:

“The preview could not load. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing.”

I do not have any plugins loaded, and do not know how to troubleshoot aggressive page cacheing.

Any ideas what to do?

Hi Larry Adams,

Thanks for writing in!

I have checked your site and it seems that Endurance Page Cache is enabled. Please disable it by going to Settings > General > Endurance Page Cache and test your site again.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.

Unfortunately that didn’t help. I turned Endurance Cache to Off (Level 0) — it had been on Normal (Level 2). But am still encountering the same problem in Pro.

Hi Larry,

In that case, please provide your admin login credentials in the secure note and we’ll test it as well. And are you editing the footer or the content? You can only change the year through the footer builder.

Thanks!

Here they are. I think I was editing the content manually (not the footer), but because I can’t access the content I don’t know for sure. I looked in the footer area, and no footer has been set up.

Hello Larry,

Thanks for updating the thread.

I checked the Footer builder and Copyright is coming up from there. You can edit the Year by editing the element under Footer builder. Here’s a screencast.

Though the changes are working fine and getting reflected on the frontend of website. I can see the error message about preview not loading. Further inspecting the page in dev tools I see 500 error message Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error).

I suggest you to please take a look at following article for some solution regarding 500 error message as there can be multiple reasons for the same.

Thanks.

Following the article, I created a new .htaccess file plus the instructions to increase php memory for WordPress. Neither helped. I’ve contacted the web host provider support team to get any info from the logs. I have WordPress running successfully on other subdomains on this account (with a different theme for WordPress), so I think the problem may either be with the upgrade to the most recent version of WordPress for this subdomain (perhaps something got corrupted) or with the upgrade to the most recent version of Pro.

I’ll let you know the results of the request for info from the logs from the web host provider.

Hi Larry,

You can simply re-install Pro theme by deleting from your Appearance -> Themes section. You just need to switch to a default WordPress theme and then you should be able to delete your Pro theme. Then you can download the latest version from your Themeco dashboard and re-install it. All your current settings will be saved in the database, so it is safe to delete and re-install theme.

Similarly, you can update WordPress core as well. Please follow their guidelines (https://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress) on how to do it.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

I updated the year in the footer per your instructions.

I re-installed the Pro theme as well as WordPress 5.0.2. But am still having a problem with Pro not being able to display the preview for either the page or for the footer. So can’t make any edits (oither than the text edit for the footer noted above).

I checked with the support team for the web host provider, but this is their response: "I have looked at the server logs and could not find anything that would indicate any kind of internal php or apache error that might be denying you the page add function of wordpress. At this point, it does appear to be a development related issue, please check if you can get further help from the theme developers."

So it’s back in your court. You can see the problem if you log in using the credentials I provided. I will only be in this office for another two hours, and then not until Monday, so if it can’t get resolved within 2 hours we’ll have to wait until Monday to keep working on this.

Thanks.

Hey Larry,

Would you mind providing us the FTP login credentials so we can take a closer look? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:

• FTP Hostname
  • FTP Username
  • FTP Password

Thank you.

An FTP account has been set up for your use.

Hi Larry,

Here’s the error when we open the homepage in Cornerstone.

Its the same issue I encountered here, this 500 Internal server error is only happening to whichever page is set as front page (homepage), I was able to confirm this when I change the front page to the test page that I created, that test page become uneditable in Cornerstone and the Building Community on Bowen Island page can be now edited.

Please contact your hosting support and ask to deactivate the ModSecurity, then check your homepage in Cornerstone to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, since deactivating ModSecurity is not recommended, request to enable it back and unblock/whitelist only the http://buildingcommunityonbowen.ca/pro/

I’m not sure if that is really the Referer that is being blocked though, so you might need to ask them to trigger the error intentionally and look on the log to see what exactly is being blocked.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

Thanks the problem apparently was with ModSecurity. Our web provider has whitelisted the pro directory. Thanks for your patient persistence in finding the problem and recommending a solution!

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.