Missing Buddypress Post Button

Hi Team,

I have activated Buddypress and bbPress - pretty straight forward for a first time user. But we seem to be missing the “Post” button on the Activity page - as in, there is not one under the comment section. Any ideas?

Hi @DeeDesign,

Please update your theme and plugins

You can find the latest version numbers here: (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195) Then you can compare them to what’s installed on your site.

If you find anything to be out of date, you can review our update guide.

If updating doesn’t help, please try to switch to wordpress default twentynineteen theme then check if issue persist.

Thanks

Thank you Paul,

Theme’s and plugins are all up to date. Tried twentynineteen as suggested and the Post Update button is there ready for action. Unfortunately it’s missing when I activate my child theme for X. Can you assist in bring this critical functionality to life for us?

Hey @DeeDesign,

X and Cornerstone are not up to date. Please compare the version you’re using in your site and the Version Compatiblity link Paul gave previously. You might have stopped update notifications in your site. If you’re unable to update automatically, please check the manual update instruction in the update guide also provided previously.

Here’s a screenshot of the user page using the latest version of X and Cornerstone.

Thanks.

Thank you Christian,

I do apologize, the “Easy Update” plugin was blocking the X and Cornerstone updates, as soon as it was disabled I could see the available updates. These updates have been actioned but there is no change to the Buddypress activity page, there is still no post update button. What are the next troubleshooting steps please.

Dee :slight_smile:

Hello @DeeDesign,

Please be advised that in Ethos stack, the submit or Post button has been hidden on purpose. If you want to display it instead, please add the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

.x-ethos.buddypress #whats-new-form #whats-new-options {
    display: block;
}

We would love to know if this has worked for you. Thank you.

Thank you RueNel,

css added and there is now a Post In button along side a dropdown list. Happy to have the post ability now but can you let me know about the dropdown list that appeared, where is this managed from please?

Is there a specific reason the submit button would be hidden?
Is Buddypress not meant to work with the Ethos stack?

Standing by. Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @DeeDesign,

The dropdown should show the groups but currently, you have no groups.

With regards to submit button being hidden, I am not sure what the reason is. I will forward this to our web development team for review.

Thanks

Hi Paul - crazy question…

I can’t seem to find the system of adding a friend or “friending” someone in Buddypress. Is it possible this too is hidden in the Ethos stack?

Hi @DeeDesign,

It’s in the profile page.

For more information kindly refer to the links below

https://codex.buddypress.org/?s=friend

Hope this helps

Thank you Paul,

My members page does not include any of the stock buttons/links (Add Friend) that display the videos above, that’s why I though maybe they were hidden by the stack? Can you please direct me to where the Add Friend buttons are in the system at this time.

Also my profile page does not display the Friendship and Requests buttons displayed on your screenshot, so I’m still stuck on where these functions are, both in my admin and my test user. For me, in both cases, I see a View link - that links back to the same page?

There are also other missing elements on this page compared to the Ethos test site.
Can you advise how to display the Member profile as it is displayed in the demo site here:

Hello @DeeDesign,

I am guessing that Friend Connections were disabled in your site. Please go to Settings > BuddyPress > Components and make sure to enable Friend Connections.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

All 10 of the Components are selected and active.

Hi @DeeDesign,

You need to click on the Friends tab.

Based on your screenshot, you are at home tab

Kindly take time to review the links below

https://codex.buddypress.org/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlgSvQqMfii4KGpnRtALo7B_oPLwwINwd

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdQJXLDS_nIUpzWROcR0iClHZ7AOe0ouG

Thanks

Thank you Paul,

You’re correct if I select Friends that Friendships and Requests appears - thank you.

1. But the bigger problem is the missing “Add Friend” button or option anywhere that I can see. Because previous missing elements were because of the stack I would love to know if these too are hidden by X before moving onto the next step in trouble shooting. Can you point us into the correct place in Ethos to see the Add Friend function?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello @DeeDesign,

It is not hidden, Add friend button will show on members Profile if he/she is active. See this sample:

Hope this helps.

Thank you Lely,

I’m sorry, I don’t understand why this is not visible on the Members page (the list of all the members and activity)
The page above is the forum page and would only let you add friends that were part of that Forum. All the information I found online shows a Add Friend button on the Members page… or if I select another members profile there should be a choice there somewhere to add them as a friend - no?

I feel like I missing a huge piece to the puzzle here… is the Add Friend function of Buddy Press only available for members that are part of active forum pages?

Hello @DeeDesign,

I have logged in and I was able to resolve your issue. It turns out that you will need to switch to BuddyPress Legacy template pack to be able to view some of the buttons.

I went ahead and switch the template pack already. All the buttons you were looking for is now displaying in the user profile that you want to add as a friend or send a private message.

Please check your site now.

Ahhhh - thank you RueNel!

Very helpful, but I’ve already hit another roadblock.
I (admin) sent a friend request to Mr. Ramsey (test account) and to your test user as well.
Mr. Ramsey got the email notification that there was a friend request with a link. Now if I sign in as Mr. Ramsey… “You have no pending friendship requests.” (even if I, clear the cache, in a private window, after 10 minutes… and follow the link in the email.)

Is there a setting to display friend request settings being received that we can not see?
(I did take the time to go through the setting and checked online too, but can not find reference to any setting regarding friend requests not arriving after email confirmation)

Hello @DeeDesign,

You do not find the request in the Friends tab. Please head over to the Notifications tab instead.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know.