Live Preview in Cornerstone X not working (only Skeleton mode)

As mentioned in the title, Live Preview in Cornerstone X is not working. I am only able to edit in Skeleton mode.
Cornerstone keeps giving this error message: ‘Uh oh! An unidentifiable error is preventing the live preview from loading. Switching to Skeleton Mode.’

I have WordPress 4.9.7 running X theme.

I tried manually deactivating the plugins but it changed nothing.

I also tried updating X theme to the latest version, but it changed nothing. (Updating X theme also removed ability to edit posts in Cornerstone.) So I reverted to an older version of X.

Hello @marcellusbeachy,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

I checked the website link attached in your account (link in secure note) and I see that you are using in-compatible version of X Theme and Cornerstone i.e X Theme 6.1.6 and Cornerstone 2.0.4 (screenshot in secure note). That might be the reason for the issues you are getting while editing. I would suggest you to copy the website on a staging server and update Cornerstone over there. In case any issue comes up the same can be worked on without effecting the live website.

To update Cornerstone please take a look at following resources:

1. Version compatibility guide: To learn about the latest and compatible versions of bundled and supported plugins, please take a look at following doc:

2. Theme Update guide: Please take a look at following article to update Cornerstone.

3. Please take a look at following doc about changelog:

https://theme.co/changelog/

In case problem is still there, then please try out following solutions:

1. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  2. I see that you are using W3 Total cache, please clear the cache and disable optimisation services.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  6. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Thanks for your help @Prasant

I updated Cornerstone. After I cleared the cache in W3 and disabled the page cache and several others, I was able to successfully open live preview in Cornerstone X for the Home page.

It appears as if I am no longer able to edit website posts in Cornerstone. When I go to posts, the “Edit in Cornerstone” option is not showing. Please help!

Hello There,

Did you do the updates and the “Edit in Cornerstone” is gone? That is because in the latest release we have introduced the Permissions where in you can disable/enable the “Edit in Cornerstone” for a post type or for a user roles. By default, Edit in Cornerstone for posts was disabled. To enable it back, simply go to X > Settings > Permissions and enable it for the posts. To know more about Permissions feature, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/permissions/32879/1

If you need anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.