Images inserted as backgrounds - causing sluggish scrolling down

Hello,

when scrolling down, the websites starts to be sluggish and loading slow.

I inserted a pictures on my website as backgrounds instead of using the image element. Does this cause the problem?

How could I solve this?

Thanks!

Hello @Golfboy123,

Thanks for asking.:slight_smile:

I checked your website and can confirm that scrolling is a bit sluggish. Please try out following solutions:

1. I see that you are using W3 Total Cache. Please try clearing cache.
  2. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  3. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Hey Prasant,

I cleared the cache & I deactivated all third-party plugins, but still a bit sluggish. I re-activated those necessary/needed. No global CSS nor Javascript.

I checked, with Chrome it is the worst, with Firefox it is “ok” and the style of the website is completely off in Safari. It loads slow, but no slug. However, the buttons look weird, the “highlight”-section on the homepage looks like on a mobile device, although this is not completely custom but rather from your cloud template section.

Please let me know what could be done.

Thanks!

Hey @Golfboy123,

That is normal because you’re using heavy (more than 1 MB) images. What happens when you scroll is, the browser stops and downloads the images. This is not a theme issue.

It looks like your images are minified based on their filenames but their sizes are still huge.

Please optimize your images. You can see how to optimize your images in our Performance guide.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.