How can I make a Child theme that's a direct copy of what I have built currently?

Built my site out on the main installation (without child theme) and now I need to add some custom stuff to functions.php and realised I need to convert to a child theme. I’d like to just port over everything I have built currently to the child theme, a direct copy - How can I do this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello William,

Thanks for writing in! There is no need for you to make your own child theme. We already have a child theme that you can download and just upload and install in your site. Please check out this knowledge base article:

Hope this helps.

yes I downloaded it but once installed how can I make it a copy of my current theme? (the parent theme)

Hello William,

You do not have to copy your parent theme and make it as your child theme. Simply do the following:

• Download the child theme and upload it to your WordPress dashboard in Appearance > Themes like any normal theme. Please do not activate it yet.
  • Go to X > Validation > Theme Options Manager and download the XCS file to your local computer.
  • Go back to Appearance > Themes and then activate your newly uploaded child theme.
  • Go back again to X > Validation > Theme Options Manager and import the XCS file that you have previously downloaded. This is to make sure that your child theme will have the same settings as your parent theme.
  • Lastly, if you have made any file modifications, please make sure to note those files. Copy those files and place it in your child theme’s folder in the same order. And if you added any custom codes in your parent theme’s functions.php file, you will have to transfer those codes to your child theme’s functions.php file.

Hope this helps.

Hey William,

Your new response was withdrawn.
Did you already resolve your issue?

Kindly let us know.

Wow! thank you for following up! yes I got the child theme installed and the instructions were bang on except for the fact I’m using Pro and they were for X everything was straightforward and a direct translation.

Thank you for all the help on this issue. I have posted a reply in my other thread as it’s related to that topic incase you see it.

I want to say also happy new year to you guys and a big sincere thank you for all of your help, I learn each time I contact you guys in the process of building out my site.

You are most welcome William.
Have A Happy New Year!!!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.