Help Determining Cause Of Site Slow Down

Hello, my site, https://www.happyshaveice.com has started loading very slowly since 12 hours ago.

Can you help me determine what could be causing it?

I’ve contacted my hosting company (Bluehost) and they say everything is working correctly on their end.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris.

Thank you for writing in, first it seems your site is having issue with Google ads

Please fix this or remove it for awhile and see if that improves your site performance.

Second, your images seemed not optimize,

You can use this tool here to reduce the size of your images.

You can also follow one of our Performance guide provided here.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

This big snippet attached shows up twice in the code. The first is just before
and the second is just before

This might be the reason why the site loads too slow. Can you tell me why it’s showing up twice and what settings I need to do so it doesn’t do this? Thanks

Hello Chris,

Did you added the code manually or you are using a plugin to manage the ads? Would you mind providing us access to your site so that we can check your codes?

By the way, you can check the performance of your site using this tool:

You might need to improve it’s performance by checking out this knowledge base article:

Hi,

I’m using a plugin to insert my ad code - Ad Inserter Pro.

I will send you my login info now via secure note.

I also just want to clarify with the missing code from my last comment:

This big snippet attached shows up twice in the code. The first is just before </head>
and the second is just before <div class="x-container max width main"><div class="x-flexslider x-post-slider"><ul class="x-slides">

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris,

You are experiencing the issue because you have modified the header.php and the footer.php files.
The correct contents should only be this:

<?php

// =============================================================================
// HEADER.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// The site header.
// =============================================================================

x_get_view( 'header', 'base' );

<?php

// FOOTER.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// The site footer.

x_get_view( 'footer', 'base' );

We have a unique template system to allow 4 stacks in the theme. wp_head() and wp_footer() is present already in themes/pro/framework/views/header/base.php and themes/pro/framework/views/footer/base.php.

If you are going to modify any parts of the theme, we would highly to suggest that you use a child theme. This allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released. After your child theme is setup, please review how we recommend making template changes in Customization Best Practices.

Hope this explains it.

Thank you so much for your help. It looks like you must have fixed it, the header and footer match what you posted. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your advice about installing the child theme.

If I follow the steps and install the child theme now, will it make my site look like the stock Ethos stack again? I’m just worried I’ll have to redo all the changes I’ve made.

Thanks again,
Chris

Hello Chris,

If you haven’t modified the parent theme, installing the child theme will not create any issues in your site. All settings, features and custom css added will be inherited with the child theme.

• Download the child theme and upload it to your WordPress dashboard in Appearance > Themes like any normal theme. Please do not activate it yet.
  • Go to X > Validation > Theme Options Manager and download the XCS file to your local computer.
  • Go back to Appearance > Themes and then activate your newly uploaded child theme.
  • Go back again to X > Validation > Theme Options Manager and import the XCS file that you have previously downloaded. This is to make sure that your child theme will have the same settings as your parent theme.
  • Lastly, if you have made any file modifications, please make sure to note those files. Copy those files and place it in your child theme’s folder in the same order. And if you added any custom codes in your parent theme’s functions.php file, you will have to transfer those codes to your child theme’s functions.php file.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.