Header Options Not Saveing For Non Admins

It appears that ever since the X/Cornerstone update that included the new access control permissions assignment functionality, non admins cannot save header options/updates. I see there was a fix for a header saving issue for Pro 2.3, but no such fix for for X. They may be totally separate issues.

All I am sure of is prior to the new built in permissions settings, all I needed to do was assign the edit_theme_options permission and a non admin could save the changes. Now, even with all permissions assigned to a role in the X access control settings, the header cannot be saved.

So far, the only issue has been with saving changes to the header. Everything else seems to function correctly/ Hopefully the developers didn’t use the the native manage options capability in WordPress to validate against. That capability really isn’t appropriate.

Thanks.

Hi @immithaca,

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you referring to X’s Theme Option > Header section not saving? Would you mind providing a video recording on how to reproduce this issue?

It’s just a bit confusing since X theme has no header builder to save, so I assume it’s Theme Options related.

Thanks!

Rad,

Yes, correct, X->Theme Options->Header.

Non-admins can make changes and have them show in the live view, but the changes do not get saved. All the other theme options seem to save as previously, just the header options don’t as far as we know so far.

All the permissions for the header section in the X permission settings, but still no go. It’s a royal pain because an admin - me - needs to log in to make the header edits.

Hello @immithaca,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Can you please share the website login details in secure note for us to take a closer look at the issue.

Thanks.

Information in secure note.

Hey @immithaca,

I’ve tested the editor user in my test site and it really doesn’t save the Theme Options even Custom CSS which should not be the case because I have enabled Theme Options control for the Editor role.

I’ll post this to our issue tracker so our development team will know that this is happening. once they go through the reports. Please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks.

@christian_y.

Thanks and glad you were able to confirm it. I will be very glad to get this issue resolved. It’s been kind of a pain.

Thanks.

You are most welcome. For latest product and update announcements, I suggest you to please keep an eye on our changelog page.

https://theme.co/changelog/

Hi @immithaca,

We were able to get this corrected. It is fixed as of today’s release.

@alexander,

Unfortunately it does not appear that the X 6.3.8/ Cornerstone 3.3.8 updates fix anything. Indeed, it may have made things worse, although I cannot say for sure, since the edits I was making I hadn’t done since the original issue of this thread was started.

The latest problem I ran into was changing/saving options in the footer Theme Options section. It don’t appear toggling any of the options is working. Even toggling the content block off did nothing and content within the text box remained. If you delete all the content it goes away, but otherwise none of the footer toggles seem to have any effect, in live preview or after saving and viewing the front end. Of course, you still get the success message when saving the options.

Now, not only does it not work for an editor role, it doesn’t even work for a user with admin.

Hi @immithaca,

I do still can confirm the issue in my installation with Editor role. I’ll re-add this issue in our issue tracker.

Thanks!

Something else I would like to add is we always use a child theme based on the Themeco child theme, regardless of how simple or complex the site design. Most of the time, the builtin theme/Cornerstone functionality is all that is required and the child theme consists of little more than a style.css.

Now this shouldn’t have any impact on this issue, but one never knows, I have seen a lot of things that should affect something else over the years. So just in case, I wanted to point it out.

Hi @immithaca,

Thanks for the additional information. I’m sorry you’re still having this problem. I mistakenly marked this as solved in our issue tracker alongside some other bugs that were solved. This specific issue has been fixed for the next release.

@immithaca,

If you want, you could send FTP credentials in a secure note and I can install a patched version of Cornerstone on your site that will resolve the problem in the meantime.

@alexander,

Thank you for the update. If you are willing and don’t mind, if you would provide a link to the parched version, I can install it. If that isn’t an option, I’ll create an FTP account. I assume you only need access to the plugin directory?

Hi @immithaca,

I recommend providing the FTP credentials as suggested as it’s more efficient for testing. I think Alex will have to try and test it first as it may behave differently for each installation.

Thanks!

@Rad,

Well hopefully it doesn’t behave differently for each installation, regardless. I have sent FTP credentials in a secure note.

Hey @immithaca,

I have forwarded this to our core developer, @alexander. He’s currently out. Please stay tuned if he’ll upload a patch in your site or you could kindly wait for the next release.

Thanks.

Hi @immithaca,

I’m sorry for the delay getting back to you. I’ve tried a few times installing the patched version over FTP but it hasn’t been able to complete the transfer each time.

Could you please get me credentials to an admin account? I can install it under that account and test it with the editor account you provided.

Thank you!

@alexander,

I gave the user account you are using admin. You can create a new user for testing with the editor role. Just please clean up after yourself.

If you were having issues transferring files and were using Filezilla, it may be a settings problem. There has also been occasional issues from non-US connections if that applies. Using a different client solves the issue.Also, sometimes adjusting Filezilla settings fixes it, but most people don’t know what to change in order to potentially fix it and it isn’t worth trying to explain it to them. Installing a different client is the most expeditious route.