Having trouble with sidebar, fonts, home page static page

I’m having a lot of trouble with the X Theme. Can someone advise? Please visit my site digitalnomadquest.com. Unfortunately for new users I can only add one image on the post so I don’t know if this is confusing for people. Also if you guys have ideas on resources to check out, cause the readme directions attached to the theme are kind of confusing for me, that would be great thanks!

Sorry this is a lot of questions but any help would be great. thanks.

1. The sidebar isn’t working on the home page. And when you go to a blog post it works, but it is in small font. I’ve been using Wordpress’s Appearance -> Widget sidebar function. Is this correct?

1. I want to make a static page for my home page. How do I do this?

2. Why is there a (+) sign at the top right corner of my blog?

3. How do you edit the color and size of the menu?

4. How do you edit the font size of H1 and H2?

5. Is there a tool to use for posts on the bottom in which they can not only FB share or Tweet but also Pin on Pinterest?

6. How do I put the social media channels on the top right corner of my blog? And why does it say “Assign a Menu”?

7. How do I add more line spacing in the body as well as make “bold” words bolder? For example this post: http://digitalnomadquest.com/sharon-gourlay-passive-income-digital-nomad-super-mom/ - all the questions and answers blend together cause the bold doesn’t stand out from the regular text.

Can you advise - thank you so much!

Best,
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

You may refer to our knowledgedbase

Answers to Questions:

The sidebar isn’t working on the home page. And when you go to a blog post it works, but it is in small font. I’ve been using Wordpress’s Appearance -> Widget sidebar function. Is this correct?

I checked and can see the sidebar in your homepage. Glad you were able to figure it out.

I want to make a static page for my home page. How do I do this?

Create a new page called Home then set it as front page under Settings > Reading

I want to make a static page for my home page. How do I do this?

The plus sign is you Header Widget Area. You can disable it under Theme Options > Header > WIDGETBAR

How do you edit the color and size of the menu?

You can change it under Theme Options > Header > LINKS – TEXT

How do you edit the font size of H1 and H2?

You can change it using css code.

Add code below in Theme Options > CSS

h1 {
    font-size:50px;
}

h2 {
    font-size:45px;
}

Is there a tool to use for posts on the bottom in which they can not only FB share or Tweet but also Pin on Pinterest?

You can try this third party plugins

How do I put the social media channels on the top right corner of my blog? And why does it say “Assign a Menu”?

You need to create a menu under Appearance > Menu and set it as primary.

How do I add more line spacing in the body as well as make “bold” words bolder? For example this post: http://digitalnomadquest.com/sharon-gourlay-passive-income-digital-nomad-super-mom/ - all the questions and answers blend together cause the bold doesn’t stand out from the regular text.

You need to enable font manager then add the fontweights that are bolder.

https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/font-manager/101

Hope these helps

Thanks!

Is there a way to make the sidebar font bigger?

Also how do I format the static home page? I tried to use cornerstone - I added a section but I didn’t see it added on the page. Is there a good video tutorial I can watch?

Thanks,
Sharon

Also for the static home page, when I add it it still has the sidebar but the example I’m looking off of doesn’t have the sidebar: https://www.makingsenseofcents.com/

Is there any way to only have the sidebar when you’re browsing around, not on the home page? Thanks.

Also in terms of the fontweights + font manager:

for body copy - how does it know to go to 900 Ultra bold when words are bolded? I can’t tell if it’s working or not right no. Also I still am not sure how to increase the line spacing height - can you advise? Thanks.

Also:

How do I add spacing between letters for this part of the blog:

And how do I center the menu at the top?

Thanks!

Hello Sharon,

Thanks for updating in! Just for future topics, self responding or bumping your post pushes it back in our Queue system so it takes longer to respond to.

• To make the sidebar font a little bigger, please add the following CSS code in the X > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)
.x-sidebar {
    font-size: 1.6rem;
}
.h-landmark {
    letter-spacing: 0px;
}
  • To center your menu and also your site title, please go to X > Theme Options > Header > Logo And Navigation > Layout and select “Stacked”

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

Thanks this helps! I am still having trouble with making the static home page. I have figured out how to make it a full width home page but I’m having trouble making all the content in it. It also shows all the social media buttons on the top and bottom of the home page I created (cause of the plugin I installed) which isn’t what I wanted.

Is there a way I can create a pre-loaded template page and just work off that, that’s similar to the look I’m going for, for example this look: https://createandgo.co/ ?

I was looking at a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvbn-dKAd0o

and it seems when he installed it there was a preloaded template. I just don’t want it to wipe out everything I’m doing - just want a template for one page I’m doing. The example:

Thanks!

Hello @digitalnomadquest,

Please provide us access to your site so that we can create and example homepage for you to start with.

By the way, if you want to have a page with no sidebar, you can simply create a page and then make use of the “Layout - Fullwidth” or Blank page templates. You can find out more about the page templates from here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/features-page-templates/50/1

Hope this helps.

Sounds good. I have sent it as a secure note!

Hi Sharon,

Your home page is still a blog page and not the static page. Please follow this

1. Create a page in Admin > Pages > Add New and name it homepage or any.

2. Go to Admin > Settings > Reading and choose your created homepage in the dropdown as shown in the screenshot

1. Then go back to your created home page and edit it in the builder, then build its content similar to your ideal site. You may use Recent Posts Element, or Essential Grid, or The Grid element when displaying a list of posts on your static home page similar to your ideal site. Please check these for more information about the plugin and elements that you could use

And I couldn’t check your current setup since the credentials has no admin capability, you may grant admin access so we could further check it.

Hope these helps.

Hi sorry about that. Yes I haven’t changed the home to static page. Only want to change it when it is completed as I have readers following the blog. I have changed the access to admin. Would you be able to create a home page template for that page I created? Thank you!

Hello @DigitalNomadQuest,

I have logged in to your site and created a test page for you.
Please check out your home page.

This is great! What are the optimal dimensions for the slider?

Hello @digitalnomadquest,

Please use at least 1200x800 or a much wider dimension so that it will display a clear and crisp image. Your slider layout must be fullwidth.

You might need to check out this tutorial to have a fully responsive fullwidth slider:

Hope this helps.

Great! Also:

How do I make the font bigger for the submenu? Thanks!

Sorry one more question - in that youtube video it talks about using slider revolution. Do I need to download that plugin? Thanks!

Hey Sharon,

Before I give the solution for the submenu and answer your last question, I’d like to kindly request that you open separate threads for different topics. Mixing topics in 1 thread usually causes confusion which leads to slower response time.

Now for the submenu font size, there is no option for it so you’ll need to put add CSS.

.desktop .sub-menu {
    font-size: 16px !important;
}

Change 16px as per your design requirement.

Regarding Slider Revolution, yes, you can download it in X > Validation.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.