Google Analytics Acting Erratic

About two days ago my Google Analytics started reporting a 50-70% decrease in traffic. It went from an average of 7k pageviews a day, to 3k, and today about 2k. Screenshot below to show the strange drop.

I am wondering what could be causing this. Is there an issue with the installation of the Analytics code? It happened overnight and I just can’t understand what is going on.

The site is boboandchichi.com
Wordpress 4.9.5
X theme 6.0.4

Thanks for your help and time.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Thanks for writing in! Did you change anything in your site in this past few days? If there is none, the drop in pageviews could be just an organic drop wherein only a few visits to your sites did actually happened in the past few days. I also check that you are on CloudFlare, please purge your site as well to make sure that the site cache is fresh along with your changes in it if you did some changes to the site or may have updated the analytics code.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

Thanks for your reply.

I haven’t changed anything in the past week. Besides upload some media to the media gallery and write some text for a new post.

I’d be super alarmed/bummed out to realize this is organic drop. We’ve now hit 1k. It would be basically going from 220k pageviews a month to 30k pageviews a month basically overnight. We don’t see any penalties from google so that seems odd.

One thing I did notice in looking around. Is if I go to the home page, check view source, and use command f to search for any google analytics code I don’t see any. That definitely used to be there.

The strange thing is Google analytics is still pulling some results, but I can’t seem to find any instance of the code.

I have also purged cloudflare and every possible type of cahce.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Could you please give us access to your site so that we can take a closer look at your Google Analytics setup and why the code disappeared from your homepage?

Thank you in advance.

Of course. I am currently getting google analytics feedack. I initially setup the GA about 5 years ago? I’ve never done anything with it since. I recently just installed the Google Analytics plugin with the bundle but then was fearful that I would be adding a duplicate. So I never enabled it.

Thanks for your time.
Scott

Hi there,

I checked your website and I see this in the source code:

So the UA-… you gave is presented in the source code but it is not like the way it should be I think. I am not sure but when I check the official Google Documentation it says it should be like this:

I am not sure how you implemented the Google Analytics but I think you need to double check the implementation. I suggest that you use our plugin for that:

Thank you.

Ok thank you, I have implemented your plugin and put in the code there.

It’s been so long since I started the site and installed the GA. Is there a way to figure out where I inserted it so I can try and remove it.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi there,

The only way is checking all the templates manually through FTP or Host’s File Manager, especially the functions.php. If it’s there, then you can remove it. Also, you can change your plugins and if the embed code is added there (by disabling each plugin at a time while checking if the code still exist by viewing the page source code).

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.