Global Nav NOT keyboard accessible (arrow keys)

What can be done to add ‘AA’ level accessibility for the global nav. It is only accessible via the “TAB” key but on long dropdown menus it will not pass ‘AA’ accessibility certification. Mainly due to the user being focused on the top level rather than the last item of the dropdown. The global nav needs to be accessible via the arrow keys as well. Please advise.

Hello Scott,

Thanks for writing in!

Can you please share the website URL in question over here so we can take a closer look?

Thanks.

*see the secure note

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your feedback, we certainly appreciate that. I’ve added this as a feature request so our developers will be made aware of it and it can be taken into consideration for future development.

Cheers!

Thank you.

I’m wondering, since legislation is pushing for accessibility. Is this something that is a focus of your developer team?
Will there be any mandatory accessibility compliance from X’s team being rolled out?

Is there absolutely nothing that can be done to make the global nav keyboard compliant other than a feature development release? That may or may not actually roll-out…

Hi Scott,

At the moment our Dev Team’s focus on are fixing bugs and developing new layout feature. I tried to find a plugin that adds arrow key feature but no luck, even the UberMenu only support the left and right arrow key but nothing for down and up. We strive to meet all standards but given that the WCAG’s standards are technically ambiguous, for now, the tab and shift+tab key should be enough.

Thanks,

Can you 100% confirm that UberMenu will be compatible with X theme?
Giving the user the ability to move left and right between top nav items is far more accessible than tabbing through each sub-nav item.
I know some plugins have complications with X theme and want to be sure.
Is this a plugin that you have seen been used with X theme?

Hello Scott,

Yes, Ubermenu absolutely works with the theme. It is even bundled in the theme. Simply go to X > Validation > Extensions and you will be able to install the plugin. To know more about the plugin and how it is integrated in the theme, please check this out:

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.