Feature Request: WRAPPER V2 element

Hi,

For complex layouts it would be great to have a WRAPPER element in which to nest other elements so we could have (if needed) an structure like SECTION >> ROW >> COLUMN >> WRAPPER >> ANY_OTHER_ELEMENT. The main point would be to use the “Element CSS” option (in this new WRAPPER element).

Regards,
Diego

Hey Diego,

For complex layouts, the currently tool that is used is the Global Blocks. For more details, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/global-blocks/24723

The Element CSS is for styling the element. For more details, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/features-element-css/20500

Hope that helps.

Hey @christian_y,

I know that Global Blocks can be used for this purpose but I think it is an overkill solution compared to simply adding an extra “Wrapper” element that can accept other elements (nested in it).

Also, the Global Blocks still have one limitation in terms of HTML structural semantics. It is not possible to choose the HTML element (<div>, <aside>, etc.) that is going to be used –for example, imagine that I want to place several (currently existing) V2 elements inside an <aside> wrapper, this would make sense if I reckon that the aforementioned content (built with one or several V2 elements) is indirectly related to the document’s main content –and yes, the <aside> HTML element is meant for more than just sidebars, in case anyone is doubting ;)–.

When I mentioned the “Element CSS” option –which I proposed as feature request before it existed and I love BTW– I meant that the new "Wrapper"element could simply provide:

• An option to choose among different HTML elements (<div>, <aside>, etc.)
  • The “Customize” subset of options (present in the rest of the V2 elements, e.i., Id, Class, Hide During Breakpoints, etc.) with special attention to the “Element CSS” option as it would allow us to save it as a Preset or Global Block keeping the styling right.

Thanks!

Regards,
Diego

Hi @CYME,

Nesting isn’t possible as it’s commonly causing issues, similar issues when nested content is added in the visual composer. It could break if not done correctly by the user. Nesting has been requested as a feature but it may not be going to be implemented. And the purpose of the builder is to create content from pre-existing elements and not for HTML element. Though, there are text and raw elements where the user could add HTML codes. I’m not sure why it needs nesting when its only purpose is to wrap HTML codes like text and raw elements.

And you can always add a shortcode within your HTML code, like <aside>[cs_button]</aside> and will function the same but will not work on v2 elements. Or do you mean creating a wrapper for each HTML element? With so many HTML elements, it would slow down the builder or system.

I’ll add this as a feature request, though, it’s unlikely to be implemented as nesting is the first thing we’re avoiding in the builder.

Thanks!

Hi @Rad,

Thanks for your thoughtful response and sorry for my delayed reaction.

Imagine you want to create an advanced layout using flexbox (using custom CSS) but at the same time you want to take advantage of the PRO builder V2 elements –in the content area (not in the header)– then in many cases you will need an extra HTML element to function as a wrapper so the flexbox layout can work –because sometimes the structure section>>row>>columns>>elements is not enough for elaborated flexbox layouts–. Using the text and raw elements would prevent us from taking advantage of the V2 elements. In a few words, having a wrapper element in which to nest V2 elements would allow us to combine the power of advanced layouts with the convenience of the V2 elements (much more tuneable than shortcodes).

And you can always add a shortcode within your HTML code, like <aside>[cs_button]</aside> and will function the same but will not work on v2 elements. Or do you mean creating a wrapper for each HTML element? With so many HTML elements, it would slow down the builder or system.

This in fact could be a different feature request –though aplicable to the wrapper element–. What I propose is to give us the ability to choose the html element for the (Pro builder) rows and columns, so that we could use a different structural semantic HTML element (<aside>, <hgroup>, <article>, <header> (that can be used within sections as well as for the main header of the page), etc.) instead of the current default <div> (that forms the row or the column). This could be a simple dropdown.

Thanks!

Thanks Diego, I’ve added your feedback to the feature request we have regarding this thread.

Thanks @Alaa, perfect!

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.