Disqus comments & Convert Plus modals loading extremely slowly

Hey there

my website is www.barrettbogan.com

The trouble I am having is that when I scroll to the bottom of a blog post, the comments section is not there at all. A visitor would just think there is no comments section. Then after a while you finally see a loading spinner and then the Disqus comments section appears. This has been happening for weeks. It is resulting in people not being able to leave comments and therefor no discussion. Is there any way you guys can help me troubleshoot what might be causing the problem.

Also the Convert Plus modal takes more than 10 seconds to pop up on button click when I’m in mobile. I have them set to pop up on button clicks within my blog post, so you can test them there to see what I mean. That is WAY too long for people to wait for the modals to respond. Most people probably click it and then just keep scrolling because it seems to not respond til 10 seconds later.

So I’m wondering if there is an overall speed issue with my site or if those are 2 separate issues. Either way, I would love your help fixing those 2 issues. Disqus comments loading slowly & Convert Plus modals loading slowly. The convert plus modals load slowly on a desktop too, but EXTREMELY slowly on mobile. Thank you so much for your time & help.

Hello @btbogan,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

1. Disqus: I tried blog posts on my end and Disqus comments box seems to loading fine. Here is a screencast. https://screencast.com/t/RqMuAx5m26i

2. Convert plus: I can see Convert Plus loading slow on desktop and mobile on my end. Looks like performance related issue. Can you please refer our performance optimization guide and see if the solutions mentioned in that help you:

Thanks.

ok thanks. I will look into those performance optimizations.

As far as the Disqus comments goes. Could you please test it on mobile as well for me? It is EXTREMELY slow on mobile. Thank you so much.

I guess I am also wondering why it waits to load until you get to that part of the page. Shouldn’t it load when the page does so that when you scroll down to that section it is already there and you don’t have to wait for it? People could scroll right past it easily. I’ve just never seen any other site’s Disqus comments section load right in front of me. Usually it is already there when I scroll down…?

Hi @btbogan,

I have checked your disqus comment and I could see that it is working well.

Please confirm if you have already fixed it.

You could try also increasing its memory allocation.

To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

Next, check for plugin conflicts, You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks

ok thank you.

do you know why it waits to load until you are on that portion of the site as opposed to loading right when you land on the page so that it’s visible as you scroll down already?

Hello @btbogan,

Actually that’s how Disqus comments system works and we have no control over that. It will start loading when you are on the comments portion of the page.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.