Custom 404 Plugin Not Working with Custom Headers

Hi X Theme support team,

I activated the Custom 404 Plugin and then pointed it to a page that I created that has a header that I built in your header editor. When I hit the page directly by typing in the url of the 404 page that I created, my custom header shows up. When I hit the page by triggering a 404 error however, the header reverts back to the built-in header of the theme. Any idea what’s going on?

Thanks. I look forward to hearing back from you.

I reported this a month or so ago. Yes, they acknowledge the bug, and say they will fix. However so many little bugs we have reported over the last few months, like this, IE browser problems and still no fixes. It’s getting quite disappointing.

Hey guys,

This is not a bug. I just tested the Custom 404 with Pro’s header and it works. Here’s the setup:

1. Create a page for the 404.
  2. In the Custom 404 settings, select that page.
  3. Create a Pro header and assign to the 404 page.
  4. Go to a none existing page and the assigned Pro header works.

If you’ve done the same, there could be something wrong in your system. Please check for the following:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

Thanks.

@christian_y

It doesn’t work.

I created a custom 404, assigned my pro header to it and it picks up the stack header. I was told this was a bug. whats changed?

Go to any page on my website, www.diveintoambon.com, see the header. Then go to a non-existing page, for example https://diveintoambon.com/error

@christian_y

Please see this post where where it was reported as an bug:

Did you also follow the rest of the solutions? I see you have optimizations in place like caching and minification. Please deactivate them and all customizations then give us access to your WordPress admin and cPanel in a Secure Note so we could try replicating your setup. This works on my end but your setup might be different.

Thanks.

I have three different headers on my site. This means that I cannot set a Global Header. So…

Hello There,

404 page, archive pages (taxonomies), and woocommerce pages is not available in the assignment area. This is not a bug, this is just not part of the function yet when it was release and was already considered a feature to be added or extend existing feature/function. We have tried to fix as many bugs possible on each release as you can see on our changelog and we will work on the features after bugfix. This is part of the priority feature the developers are working on, but yes, the point is it is still not available yet as of the moment and we’re sorry for the inconvenience. I have updated the request for this. Thank you for understanding.

@Lely

Thanks for the clarification. I think you are playing semantics. You can assign the 404 page a custom header, it just doesn’t work, a missing feature you say. It would seem to be a pretty essential function to be able to complete a site with a consistent narrative and theme.

There are, from reading all the support section, quite a few ‘bugs/missing essential functions’ and no updates for a few months. It would be nice to have some sort of time frame. I believe it was suggested (promised) that there would be template sections/function in August…a bug in the code that does not handle our sticky headers when viewing in IE, that several of us had reported, me in July, and still hasn’t been fixed…some reassurance that work is going on behind the scenes would be good…

Hi There,

You’re always welcome. Rest assured that the developers are working on it and we’re trying to fix as many bugs as possible per release. We just can’t promise an ETA. As our commitment that we’re working on it, we have added this article: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-pro-known-issues/203 showing the status of each bug. Please bear with us. Thank you.

@Lely

Thank you. (though it doesn’t look like anything has been fixed yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , bit worrying as the last update was the beginning of July)

You’re always welcome!

Is there an ETA on this? We need a solution and don’t want to poor resources into it if the ability to assign a header to a 404 page is coming soon.

Regard,
-cah

Hi Cah,

Sorry we don’t have a date yet but this has been forwarded to our web development team.

Thank you for understanding.

They went on holidays for 2 years now?

Hey @lijecreative,

I previously (September 2017) tested this and I said it is not a bug. I’ve just tested it again now with the new version and it still works. Please watch the screencast below:

Here’s another using Content Builder content.

Like my previous reply, if that setup in the video does not work on your end, there could be something wrong with your server and/or WordPress setup.

I’ll follow up with my colleagues who said this is a bug and will let them test this.

Thanks.

Hi,

There is a big difference between creating a custom 404 page and using the core 404 of the theme. I’m always using the core 404 and this page is not visible in the list of pages for the headers and footers. That was the issue they were having.

Hey @lijecreative,

The title of this thread is about the Custom 404 Plugin and Pro Custom Header.

That’s the same case for the other user.

I just knew your case when you detailed it.

Now regarding about the default or standard 404 page. That is a special page powered by the 404.php template and since it’s not a page that you create, it does not exist in the database. Pro Header and Footer Assignments only currently work for pages, posts and custom post types and not special pages and archives. This might be possible in the future. For now, please use the Custom 404 extension. Or, follow this tutorial by Michael https://michaelbourne.ca/assign-pro-header-search-results-page/

Thanks.

1 Like