Cornerstone stopped working - is it safe to delete plugin and reinstall?

My Cornerstone plugin has stopped working (get the spinning icon). We have tried deactivating all other plugins and reactivating one by one but still no luck.

I think the next step is to delete and reinstall it, but I get a warning “Are you sure you want to delete Cornerstone and its data?”. Just wanted to check this doesn’t delete my page content?

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for writing in! First deactivate your Cornerstone plugin, then delete it from your WordPress plugin sections and your data will be saved in the database. Then you can install the latest version by head over to X -> Validation section and wait for few seconds to automatically install it.

However, since you’re getting this spinning issue, please follow our general troubleshooting guidelines below and see if you can isolate the issue. Most possible causes are due to caching or plugin conflicts. Also check your PHP version and memory limit.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X/Pro > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the Theme Options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Let us know how it goes.
Thank you.

Hello, thank you so much for your response.

I’ve carried out most of the troubleshooting steps you recommended (except for 5 and 8 which I may need some help with). Spinning issue still occurs though :frowning:

Meanwhile I’ve been battling with my hosting company as the problem started after some performance optimisation work they carried out. Unfortunately they are claiming it is out of their scope to assist me with the problem.

Is it possible for you guys to help please?

Hi Joanne,

Can you please explain what are the changes that you have done on your hosting environment, because it could be directly related to this issue. The best option would be to temporarily disable those changes and re-test this issue again.

We can can also check your issue on our end and see what’s going on. To do that, we will require your WordPress login credentials along with your FTP credentials in a secure note to investigate it.

Thanks!

Hey Jo,

The Autoptimize plugin is great but it’s known to break websites because of CSS and JS concatenation (combining of codes into one file) and/or minification. It’s best that you consult with a WordPress website optimization service to configure the plugin for you. A professional developer is required to review all of the CSS and JS used in your site and he/she will decide if it’s safe to concatenate all of the resources of your site.

Autoptimize caches minified resources so even if you deactivate it. The cached files might still be in use. Would you mind clearing Autoptimize’s cache then deactivate it again? Please contact Autoptimize support for full usage instructions.

X and Cornerstone’s resources should also be excluded from minification because they are already minified. For more details, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/customizations-performance/210

You will need to contact Autoptimize’s support to learn how to exclude all of X and Cornerstone’s CSS and JS.

Thanks.

Thank you for your advice. I will relay to my hosting company (when they eventually call me back) and let you know the outcome.

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.