Cornerstone Painfully Slow - Calls to Files

Hi guys,

I’ve been battling with a site that is painfully slow on both the front end and back end. I have deactivated all the plug-ins and it’s still ridiculously slow. So slow that sometimes it times out when saving.

The site is being built behind the existing site at http://www.sashrepairs.com/cordless/

The server is a VPS running php 7, we have spoken to our hosting company and they can’t see any issues server side. (Comments below) - I have also attached a screenshot from GTMetrix

"I believe that problem here is not with the server, your plugins or the account using more resources than allowed.

While debugging your application, there are hundreds of calls to files located here: /wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone

Could it be possible you are running an old version? Several developers have been reporting the same problem you have been experiencing:

(lists google search of slow cornerstone)

To help a little bit, I went ahead and raised memory limits for this account and enabled OpCache. It is a little bit faster now, but, not major change."

Any ideas on what the issue might be - I can’t offer it as it is…

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The GMetrix doesn’t measure what’s loading in the admin or builder, and the builder and it’s resources is only loaded when you use it. It shouldn’t affect the live page like that, maybe the page itself is already slow, hence, editing it in the builder makes it slow too since the preview is based on live page.

I even checked it in browser developer tools (network monitor) and it has almost the same result, 8 seconds for page load, and 11 seconds for favicon file. Favicon file is just an image, there is no processing required but it still slow.

To confirm this, I created an empty draft page and it is too, is very slow. No builder or content involved. And almost the same, 9 seconds for page load, and 9 seconds for favicon file.

But the main thing I noticed is, it’s random. There are cases that it loads instantly, and there are times that yes, it loads about 19 to 30seconds. And one more thing, in your screenshot, the URL http://www.sashrepairs.com/cordless/ is loaded twice, that’s the two purple color. And I can confirm that on my browser, my question is why it’s loaded twice as this is my first time seeing like that. The same goes for the test page that I made, the same empty page is reloaded twice.

Is there a way you can clone this site to a staging, separate host environment so we could narrow it down? There are similar issues, but very few so we couldn’t rule out that this is due to the theme or cornerstone, or it could be just a conflict between host environment and the builder. Else, all sites mush have same issue.

Thanks!

Hi. I am also experiencing this issue on ridhus.lasatter.se
Often extremely slow
Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I would like to check your website but it’s under construction mode.

You can take a look at these article:

Regards!

Hi Rad,

We have added the site to a test environment here, using the same credentials as before.

It’s much faster… I haven’t activated any of the plug-ins yet…

Hello @SomethingWonderful,

Thanks for sharing the details.

Another support staff here. I checked the website and noticed that the staging server is on a different port, however the IP address is same. Please try changing the live website from HTTP to HTTPS and then see how it goes.

Thanks.

Hi Prasant,

I have utilised the SSL certificate and changed to HTTPS but it hasn’t made any different. If anything it’s added a couple of seconds.

The test environment is now also very slow.

S

Hey Steve,

I compared the loading time of your site on both different servers and the difference is significant. It’s much faster on the new one (see secure note). I suspect there is something in your first setup that is causing the speed issue.

Can you also try the tips in our performance article?

@TomasJarvling,

Please open a separate thread as that is the way we could help you best. And, hijacking of threads is not allowed. Please review https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288 for more details.

Thanks.

Hey Christian,

I’m going to delete the original installation and import the “test” site back in it’s place, just in case something went glitchy during the original set up…

My hosting company has been amazingly helpful. They have asked me to ask the following…

“Can you check with it’s developers and request some more info on the supported PHP versions, as well as any specific PHP extensions so we could look into optimising the configuration accordingly?”

Can you help with that? They have offered to optimise the server accordingly.

Many thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Regretfully, we could not help on the server level. What I could say though is that your second server’s performance is just a bit faster (1.8 mb loaded in 7 seconds) compared to my test site (1 mb loaded in 6s) that is hosted in a shared hosting. And, your second test site is faster than your first so hosting in a VPS does not always equate to better performance. Also check if your host uses SSD storage as I find that significantly faster. Almost all web host has that but just check in case. Here’s the base setup of my test site:

OS Type: Linux x86_64 (64 bit) Server Software: Apache CPU Cores: 2 Cores Load Average: 5.38, 5.78, 5.58 Disk Space: 541.33 GB (72%) used of 755.64 GB total Database Size: 1.29 MB MySQL Version: 5.6.39-log Database Charset (Collate): utf8mb4 (n/a) WP Locale (Charset): en-US (UTF-8) Server Timezone (WP): UTC (UTC+0) PHP Version: 7.2.6 PHP Extensions: Core, date, libxml, openssl, pcre, sqlite3, zlib, bz2, calendar, ctype, curl, hash, filter, ftp, gettext, gmp, SPL, iconv, pcntl, readline, Reflection, session, standard, shmop, SimpleXML, mbstring, tokenizer, xml, cgi-fcgi, bcmath, dba, dom, enchant, fileinfo, gd, imap, intl, json, ldap, exif, mysqli, mysqlnd, odbc, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, pdo_pgsql, pdo_sqlite, pgsql, Phar, posix, pspell, snmp, soap, sockets, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, wddx, xmlreader, xmlrpc, xmlwriter, xsl, zip Max Upload, Post Size (Input Vars): 2M, 8M (1000) Memory Usage: 44M (9%) of 512M (actual limit) WP Memory Limit: 512M (defined limit) WP Admin Memory Limit: 256M (defined limit) WP Debug: Disabled (no logging, display) Opcache Size (Max Files, Revalidate): 0 (0, n/a secs) Page Cache (Plugin): Enabled Object Cache: Disabled

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.