Cornerstone not working and won't allow me to edit pages

Hey @christian_y ,

I’m not sure why it keeps dropping. I wasn’t able to access it either and I didn’t get any alarms through cloud watch.

It’s a t2 micro, so perhaps it’s burst credit related, I set it an m4 large so hopefully that fixes the issue. Sorry!

Thanks for following up with @alexander

Brad

Hi Brad,

It’s working now, I managed to log in.

Thanks.

Hey @Alaa,

Thanks for signing in and testing it. Cornerstone 2.1.7 seems to be working for everyone but @RueNel. It still doesn’t work for him.

Hopefully @alexander will figure it out. Several other forum posts seem to have the same problem and they haven’t figured it out yet either.

Thanks

Brad

Hi Brad,

I’m sorry, regretfully without being able to see the issue first hand we’re unable to confirm it and advise on a solution (or explore a problem in the product itself).

Thank you for getting the dev server setup. Would you mind also providing FTP access (or SFTP)? This would help us further troubleshoot the problem. That I imagine that 500 error is the root problem here but we’ve been unable to uncover the details behind that error message so far.

Hey @alexander,

Thanks for following up on the thread.

Re FTP: I’ll check with my lawyers but HIPAA makes things difficult. Could you suggest anything I could try FTP wise?

If not, I might be able to duplicate my dev environent, move it to a new server and and move the database off my main RDS instance to another.

It’s my own ineptitude that I’m in this mess. I should have never pushed the changes live without testing them in my dev first.

I appreciate your help

Thanks

Brad

Hi Brad,

I do think that actually, your suggestion can be part of the troubleshooting too. If you can move the website to another server so that we can get access to the website via FTP then there will be 2 points that we can follow up:

1. Test to see if it is a server related problem or not.
  2. Gives the opportunity that our lead developer checks the case.

Please consider that this will really take time as our dev guys are not available all the time for the support and understandably the process will be longer. Also, worths to mention that there is no guarantee that our dev guys can check the thread and after you give us the information of the new server we the support staff will be the ones for sure to check.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hey @christopher.amirian,

I understand, I appreciate eveyones help.

I’m going to make another backup of my dev and try a couple of changes later today. It won’t be accessible while I attempt the changes. If that doesn’t work than I’ll move it to another sever etc and provide you with ftp access.

I’ll update the thread later tonight

Thanks

Brad

Hey @alexander and Support Team,

Good news! I got 3.1.6 working!!!

After trying multiple server side changes I decided to wipe Firefox and it’s appdata again and install the beta version of Firefox.

It didn’t work, but when I checked the setting of dom.indexedDB.enabled (which was set to TRUE) I noticed a new option below it. dom.indexDB.experimental…

I turned the orginal to false and the experimental to true and boom. Cornerstone 3.1.6 works.

If @alexander or anyone else wouldn’t mind explaining why this setting in it’s orginal state doesn’t work for me, yet works for many of you and what the difference is between the orginal and the experimental setting I’m very curious to know.

Edit: I spoke a little too soon! If experimental is set to true I cannot load cornerstone, but I can edit once cornerstone is loaded. So I have to use the orginal set to true, load cornerstone, then set the orginal to false and the experimental to true to edit… thoughts? LOL

Edit 2: Not working with experimental. But it does get past the error.

Thanks!!!

Brad

Support,

I’ve added a video in the secure notes so you can see what the experimental setting did.

Sorry for the false alarm in the previous post. I’m very sleep deprived.

Thanks

Brad

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the additional details. I have replicated the issue using Firefox Developer Edition. However, though it is good that you reported the issue, Firefox Developer Edition is a non-standard browser. It’s settings are different than the standard edition and It is strict in terms of running JS code that is why it prevents functions in Cornerstone to continue on operating because it detects some issues which are not necessarily important for normal operation.

Cornerstone was tested using standard browsers as those are what the users use generally. My test site does not work with the developer edition but works with the standard edition.

Update: I’ve updated Firefox Developer Edition to the latest version and it seemed to fix the issue. Cornerstone works fine on my end now using that browser. What I’ve said regarding this being a non-standard browser remains true though so with that said, we could not promise support for this browser in terms of Cornerstone usage.

Thank you for understanding.

Hey @christian_y,

Thanks for doing some additional testing on your end. I appreciate it.

I still cannot get cornerstone 3.1.6 to work on any Firefox edition (normal, Beta or developer) regardless of the settings.

I’d really like to know why it doesn’t work for me, @mldarshana or @RueNel, yet works for you, @alexander ,etc etc.

Any thoughts? I’ll test or try anything…

Edit: Does Pro use cornerstone? If I purchased a separate license what are the odds it works?

Thanks

Brad

I’m sorry but I’m not sure why that is. I’ll post this in our issue tracker so @alexander will be made aware of the details. Just note that we could not promise an immediate solution or investigation. Please stay tuned. For now, please us Firefox Standard edition.

Thanks.

Hey @christian_y,

I appreciate your honesty!

What about Pro. Does it use cornerstone and what are the odds it works?

Thanks

Brad

Cornerstone is integrated or already built-in in Pro. It is just called the Content Builder but it is the same as in X. I’ve tested both Cornerstone and Pro Content Builder in Firefox Developer Edition and it works. The only thing I did was to update the latest version of the browser.

Thanks.

Hey @christian_y,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I’ll wait and see if @alexander can figure it out. If he can’t, I might try Pro (fingers crossed) or launch Ubuntu in virtual box and see if Firefox works for me there.

I appreciate the help

Thanks

Brad

You’re welcome, Brad.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the additional information. I’ve looked into this some more and discovered it’s an issue in Firefox if the history is disabled. This happens when Private Browsing is used or other policies are in place.

Cornerstone uses IndexedDB to remember past element renders. This way if you change a setting back to a recent value or duplicate an element it doesn’t need to request that info from the server. Firefox doesn’t allow IndexedDB to be used in Private Browsing (unlike other browsers) which is why we’re seeing this crash.

I’ve corrected this for the next release. Meanwhile you could try using Chrome Incognito mode since they furnish an in-memory IndexedDB implementation that doesn’t store anything on disk.

1 Like

Hey @alexander,

That’s great!!

I really appreciate you and the support team troubleshooting and fixing the issue for me, and thank you for explaining how it works.

I look forward to the next release!

Thanks again

Brad

Hi Brad,

Glad that we could be of a help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.