Cornerstone not loading now I've updated theme

Hi guys.

I’m struggling to get Cornerstone to work. I’ve just updated x theme and now all I’m getting a spinning icon while trying to load a page already built in cornerstone. It won’t even let me build a new page in cornerstone.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Fiona

3 Likes

same issue with pro theme. spinning wheel.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

We need to check if the issue was really caused by the update and not by third-party factors such us the use of perfomance plugins like W3 Total Cache.

@thrivewithfiona, I cleared your caching plugin and Cornerstone is working fine on my end.

Before reporting an issue, please first do the following troubleshooting steps while checking if the issue persists each time to see what caused the issue.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. If you’re using a caching plugin, clear all caches in your caching plugin and also clear your browser’s cache then temporarily deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and temporarily disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by temporarily deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. If you’re using a child theme, temporarily switch to the parent theme to quickly check if child theme a custom code is causing the issue.

6. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Thanks.

Hi Christian, thanks for getting back.

I realise it must be a bit frustrating but I really am quite a novice so I did not know to do those things. I will bookmark and ensure I do them in future (and learn how).

I see it is working your end which suggests the above factors are not relevant because on my end I still have the same problem or do I need to do something too?

I have logged out, switched my computer off and restarted from scratch but I am still getting the neverending wheel.

Can you help further so I can understand what i need to do to resolve? Thanks Fiona

1 Like

I’m having the same issue over on my end. I made sure I followed the best practices and tested for plugin conflicts but it is still just showing me the loading wheel.

1 Like

@thrivewithfiona,

Just to have extra eyes on the situation, I’ve logged into your site and it’s working for me as well. You could try clearing your browser cache. Or just try using an incognito tab. Here’s a guide for clearing the cache in Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

@childrenscancer if clearing the cache doesn’t work, another root cause we’ve observed for this issue is WordPress core being an older version.

So far everything is up to date, should I try deactivating cornerstone? or will that break my site?

Hey @childrenscancer,

Deactivating Cornerstone will make the site function incorrectly. Some pages may display codes in it especially if you have used Cornerstone to build those pages. This could also be caused by a 3rd party plugin. You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If nothing is helping, we kindly ask that you open up your issue in a separate thread together with your WP login details added in the secure note. To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Regards.

Hi, okay so I have cleared all the caches from chrome and firefox, and I am still getting the same response.

Chrome - continual wheel
Firefox - through to cornerstone but unable to see page or use the sidebar elements

Can you help further? I really need to get in soon.

Thanks Fiona

Hello Fiona,

Thanks for updating this thread. Please keep in mind that Since you have installed a caching plugin W3 Total Cache, please clear your plugin cache and regenerate the minified JS/CSS files before testing your site. This can cause the changes to not take place on the front end. It will eventually show up when the cache regenerates, but it’s not ideal if you’re looking to see your changes immediately. You can also temporarily deactivate the caching plugin and test your site with cleared browser cache or by using private browsing mode.

Please let us know how it goes.

I had a similar issue after a previous update. For our site we had to update our version of PHP for it to work correctly.

Hi @thrivewithfiona,

We released the version 3.0.3 of Pro and 7.0.3 of the X theme that addressed conflict with the WP Rocket plugin.

Would you please kindly make sure that you update the theme to that version and see if it fixes the problem?

@lahaops,
Thank you for sharing that David.

@christopher.amirian @RueNel

Hi Guys,

I’m really sorry but it is still not working and I am a bit of a novice, however, I have:

• upgraded all software to latest x theme as of today (1st Oct) and all plugins which included bothe x theme and cornerstone

• cleared again my Chrome browser all data/cache

• through W3 Total Cache have deleted all caches

• logged off all, deleted computer saved application states and caches etc, logged back on and signed back in but still get the never-ending circle!

• I do not know what this means ‘regenerate the minified JS/CSS files before testing your site’ but if you can help me to understand I can try

• I also do not know how to do this and again if you can help me understand ‘update our version of PHP for it to work correctly’ which @lahaops mentions

Site still unchangeable so if you could help me get to the bottom of this it would be great!

Many thanks Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Is the issue on your end only happening to specific page? I’ve check your site and I can open any of your page in Cornerstone (see secure note), Can you try it on a Incognito or private mode of your browser where there is no caching and browser’s add-ons involve.

How do I set my browser to Incognito or private mode?

Let us know how it goes,
Thanks,

Agh!! This is a little frustrating!

I can see that you can get in but literally nothing at my end.

I’ve tried multiple pages on incognito mode.

I’ve even left the thing going for +15 mins to see if it’s just slooooow.

I’ve tried again on Firefox and Safari. No joy.

HOWEVER, I ran another site through (www.thriveyourlife.co.uk) and it works on:

This site runs:

• Cornerstone You have version 3.5.4 installed
  • X You have version 6.5.5 installed.

BUT this site updated to the latest versions of x and cornerstone now does not work!! with the same neverending circle.

So I now have 2 sites not working…!

So it can’t be the browser because it worked before the update?

These 2 sites work from the same host server so would this be relevant? But that doesn’t take into account you can get in?

Before update:

After update:

I need to get this sorted as the second website isn’t mine!!

Any clue? Fiona

Okay so I have also tried on a different computer now and it’s working?

Any ideas why it might not on my iMac which is old but running OS X 10.9.5? It is running well all other programmes and usually have no issues.

None of the browsers work Chrome/Firefox/Safari.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks Fiona

Hello Fiona,

Thanks for updating the thread. :slight_smile:

I have tested your website on my end and it’s working fine on my end too.

It’s difficult to comment but usually it happens because of cache. You can try using system cleaner softwares like ccleaner and see how it goes. Please note that using software like ccleaner will remove all saved logins, sessions, histories in all browsers. https://www.ccleaner.com/

However, beyond this it’s difficult for us to provide support for the issue you are facing. Reason being Cornerstone is working fine on our end, I also asked couple of my colleague to test your website and they also reported that Cornerstone is working fine. Same is the case on your end, it’s working on other computer.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi, it’s very frustrating. I have tried everything on this computer which is the computer I need to make adjustments. All the caches down to the password, I don’t have any extensions or ad blockers. I am unsure why it’s on all browsers.

If I can’t get it to load on any browser, how can I go ahead and change the website using Cornerstone?

If I can’t use Cornerstone, what can I do? Id there another page builder I can use? Gutenberg? Something else that I can swap in place or will I lose everything formatted in Cornerstone?
So if you can’t use Cornerstone what can you do?
Thanks Fiona

Actually, there is something wrong with Cornerstone. I just looged on on another computer and Cornerstone and the content loads, however:

when you try to adjust something I’m asked whether I want to leave the site when I haven’t pressed any button that would lead to that

• also there is element missing i.e. when I go to hide an element from devices there is no option to do this. This should be under layout, section, magnifying glass and then usually there are 4 buttons based on screen size.

This is really weird and very frustrating. I don’t want to have to redo the whole website on a different theme! Please!