Cornerstone is spinning

Hi,

I can’t enter Cornerstone - I get the dreaded spinning :open_mouth:

I haven’t been active on my sight for a few days and made no changes or adding plugins and when I left it it worked great

the only thing that has happned is that wordpress has “updated itself” automaticly which usually is fine.

I thought I could only update x-theme to the latest version and also cornerstone everything would unroll fine - but I only succseeded to crash the site and had to go back to an earlier full backup. I have to do the manual update through Filezilla,

Now I don’t know how to begin fixing this… without crashing the site compleetly

I have X-theme 6.4.6 I tried do update X to the new version 6.5.4
I have Cornerstone 3.5.2

I have Wordpress 4.9.10 (new available 5.1.1)

Please help!

Hey @Lottafixelius,

Please update Cornerstone to the latest version which is 3.5.3. Here is a link for a details information on how to do an update:

Please remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors or any unexpected display issue on the site.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

1. I usually update Cornerstone within plugin update - is that what I should do?

2. Should I update x-theme before or after I update cornerstone?

Hi There @Lottafixelius

The best practice is to update theme first and then update the plugins. When you have validate your site (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-product-validation/55), you can use automatic updates feature to update your X theme or Cornerstone plugin.

In your case, you can simply update Cornerstone plugin through your plugins section as you have mentioned and theme from Appearance -> Themes section.

Another most important step is to clear all caches once you update your theme and plugins. This will avoid any caching issues related to your updates. Please refer to the following resource on how to clear cache (https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-clear-your-cache-in-wordpress/).

Thanks!

Did what you said but site crashed again :open_mouth:

Upon logging in to your WP Admin, I saw that Cornerstone is not listed in your plugins so I went to X > Validation so X could install Cornerstone automatically. But, X could not install Cornerstone because the cornerstone folder already exist in your plugins folder.

I deleted the cornerstone folder and went to X > Validation but I got an error. I logged in to your server and found out that you’ve not installed X correctly. It should be installed directly under the themes folder and not in a sub-folder.

I moved X to the themes folder and X now successfully installed Cornerstone.

I then visited a page in Cornerstone and it works fine (see secure note). If it does not still work on your end, please provide the specific URL of the page so we could investigate. Since you’re using WPML, also tell us if it does not work for all languages.

And since you’re using Multisite, update X to the latest version but this time, follow the correct installation procedure.

Thanks.

Hi many thanks for earlier help!

I’ve now succeded in updating X to latest version and I’m super happy but

I’m able to access Cornerstone from dashboard

When I’m in Cornerstone I can’t reach the selection of my pages as I used to

And I can’t reach Cornerstone from:

How do I fix this? Please help!

Thanks!

Hey @Lottafixelius,

There are several new settings that are introduced since X 5 and 6. Would you mind specifying what options are you looking for? In case you are looking for the saved templates, it was moved to the Template Manager.

If you are on the admin page, you will not get the Edit in Cornerstone option in the Wordpress admin bar since there is already a button in the content area to edit in Cornerstone. However, when you view the page in the frontend of the site, you will get the option to edit the page in Cornerstone from the admin bar.

Hope this helps.

Hi again, I need to specify what is not working

I need the overview I had of my pages without having to leave cornerstone and go back to dashboard…

I used to see all my pages in Cornerstone here and be able to work from here switching between pages without having to leave to dashboard and loading Cornerstone for every different page (se pic) all this could I do from pressing “content” in this menue and now when I press Content - nothing happens it just stays the same - no spinning no nothing…

Hi There @Lottafixelius

As I have tested on my local test site, those sections still functioning correctly on my end and I can confirm that it’s not working on your end.

I would suggest you to update your WordPress to the latest version as well and test your issue further.

If you’re still having issues, then try regenerating your .htaccess file by resetting your permalink structure. To do that, you can head over to Settings -> Permalinks area, then select the option postname and save the changes.

Another possible cause that I see on your site is the following redirection error. I could not find a redirection plugin, so I would suggest you to disable any redirection rules set to your site and re-test this issue further.

Please make sure to clear all caches when testing your issue (https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-clear-your-cache-in-wordpress/).

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Hi I’ve done all of your suggestions

updated WP to latest version
updated redirection database
(my redirection plugin is Yoast)
Cleared cash - both browser and wp super cash
Cornerstone plugin updated
Updated all plugins

And now I’ve ended up where I started - Cornerstone spinning :frowning: again… so actually worse than before -

I can reach cornerstone through page - edit with cornerstone - but when there not possible to access content.

What have gone wrong ? Please help - thanks!

Hello @Lottafixelius,

I have logged in to your site and I temporarily disabled WP Super Cache plugin. I can now access the X > Validation page, Edit a page in Cornerstone and the theme options pages, X > Theme Options.

Please clear your browser cache again or use private browsing mode and test your site again.

Hi again,
cleared all cash

I only get spinning from #1 but I can access Cornerstone from #2
Nothing happens when I press content within Cornerstone - it just sits there.

Hi @Lottafixelius,

It seems we can not clear the WP Super Cache from your site’s admin panel. Please login to your main site as a Super Admin and clear all the WP Super Cache, and other caching features your multisite have.

Thanks,

I don’t have a superadmin. Try my other login… I managed to clear all super cash with my other login - but still no change in the spinning

Hello @Lottafixelius,

Please be advised that you do not use #1 when you are in the page/post editing screens because it will only go to the X > Cornerstone. You will have to always use #2 when editing the page.

You will only use #1 when you are viewing the live page or when you are in the front end.

At the moment, X > Cornerstone is not loading because there is an internal server error. This could be a bug on multisite installations. I’ve submitted this to our issue tracker so the developers will be made aware of it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks! Fingers crossed the internal error is my error and it can be fixed :slight_smile:

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Hi @Lottafixelius,

I’m sorry it took us a while to investigate this. We did some testing and weren’t able to reproduce the 500 error. It’s likely something with your server configuration. I hope you were able to get things working, but let us know if you need any more assistance in troubleshooting.